Repairing burn holes in synthetic clothing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

minds_eye

Aug 30, 2011
South West UK
Looking for help as to repairing nylon softshell type pinhead sized holes due to burns.

So .. being rather anal about this sort of stuff, I have stuff I keep exclusively for outdoor use and stuff I keep for around town. Outdoor stuff gets smoky and slightly singed, on occasion. Urban stuff does not - usually. Sadly, sat around a chimenea, a friend overly enthusiastically stoking a fire showered me in embers and caused quite a few burns in my jacket and shirt.

The outer on the jacket is a slightly stretchy thin synthetic (Patagonia nano air) and the holes are pin head size burns. They’re not hugely noticeable but my concern is that not dealt with they stretch or expand (though I’m guessing the fire has probably sealed them).

On down, I’ve ended up duct taping rips and stuff before but this is so minor I’m not sure if putting a through stitches through it would help or hinder the jacket.

Any help appreciated

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
speaking as somebody that has more small holes in their synthetic clothing than most (I really shouldn't wear synthetics or polyblends whilst forging, welding and grinding!), they won't spread unless you can get your finger into it. Even then it's only likely to spread if you catch the hole on something, like your finger.

It looks like you have just moved your 'urban' outdoor clothing to 'outdoor' outdoor clothing. There is no repair that I know of for melted plastic!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've used clear tenacious tape on my down sleeping bag on the inside where an ember made several large holes , as I tried to get it out. It works very well, and is still working after 5 years, no problem. I don't even know it's there when I use the bag. Can recommend 100%

Reactions: minds_eye

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE