(Probably a very silly) question about Ventile...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
I understand how Ventile works in the rain, with the fibres swelling to keep out the water, but I have found that, when working hard on 'one of those days' which is a bit warm and only showering rather than raining, my perspiration condenses, wetting the inside of the jacket. This causes the fibres to swell, as they are wont to do, turning the garment from what had earlier been a tolerably breathable, wind proof garment into the cotton equivalent of a black plastic refuse sack.

Are there any Ventile-based tops out there that avoid this or does anyone have an elegant, practical solution to this problem?

Many thanks for your help!

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
There are probably more people on here in the know, but my Keela ventile has a breathable membrane lining. Perhaps this was designed to prevent your issue?

Years ago when I wore a venture for harder use I was told to ventilate as much as possible and open the zips unless weather protection or an over zealous CSM prevented this.

slimshady

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2014
Oxfordshire
It's just down to the level of ventilation that your activity requires.
I'm guessing that the garment has no zips/flaps/etc. What model is it.
The other day I was helping to clear a footpath of brambles/etc and ended up wearing a thin fleece (to keep the wind off) and just rang it out every now and then between the showers. The linen shirt was shoved back into rucksack.
I wouldn't have worn a ventile jacket/smock/shirt, the rain/sweat was just too much.

Alex.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think the point about ventile is that it breathes when you are wearing it in the dry and when it gets wet it is like any other impervious waterproof. I have been wearing single layer ventile trousers lately and they are very comfortable. With the upper layer it is what you wear underneath that matters, you don't want a layer that traps moisture next to the skin. When it comes to winter I will be wearing merino long johns underneath the trousers.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ventile is about moisture management ... if you get to hot you sweat ... if you sweat under Ventile it reacts to the damp as it would to rain.
Manage your sweating with underlayers/ lack of underlayers (wool and linen work well under Ventile, absorbent cotton not so good) and comfort is almost guaranteed ... at least that is my experience!

Reactions: demographic

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
Many thanks to one and all for the valuable pointers and advice.

I do think hard about what I wear underneath - to 'manage' the moisture and 'regulate' heat - and always follow the idea of 'start cold' when out and about; however, it's always that steep hill, the rucksack or even the appearance of the cheery sun, even fleetingly, that scuppers things! The annoyances of running hot!

I think that I had hoped, rather unrealistically, that Ventile might be a bit more accommodating than it actually is but I will continue to try and find a combination that works, understanding all the while that there will be occasions when it just won't do 'what it says on the tin'!

Onwards and upwards!

Reactions: Wildgoose

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Any fabric will wet out if it’s raining & you are working hard & sweating..layering up or down works wonders if done right & a neck tube stops sweat & rain from running down the chest & back.
The lightweight stuff just isn’t up to much in the woods.. so ye old faithful tried & tested mid to heavyweight reigns supreme in my books.
Although pit zips,side vents & mesh pockets do wonders for ventilation..except they’ll let in water, so defeating what you trying to achieve.
A poncho maybe?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE