silky pocketboy vs laplander saws

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've borrowed a pals Silky a few times and it's much quicker than my Lappy, the reason I haven't pulled the trigger one on though is their blade prices, the blades cost the same as a new saw, or at least they did last time I looked.

Useful vid thanks Josh

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice vid Josh.

This is the daddy of folding saws though ;)

P1000707.jpg

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I was planning on nipping over to Axminster Power tools in the morning and picking one up myself.

Can't go wrong with a bigboy mate. I've only used it on an 8 inch cherry log so far, went through it in seconds, no messing.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Good idea for a vid on a question over which many people must ponder. I have both saws and I snapped the Silky Boy 170 off at the tip on the second or third usage, even with proper technique (cut on the pull). The Laplander is not as fast but in my experience is much tougher and more reliable. They tend to bend slightly if abused rather than snap. I also believe in very low temperatures the Laplander would be much more robust.

Having splashed out on a Silky (and a new blade) I feel I should use it, but the next time the thing snaps it is going in the bin.

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've only had it 3 weeks :) Already got a little bend it in. I've used it to remove an unwanted cherry tree and to section the logs. I'll be taking it camping in 2 weeks. Its on firewood duty. :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I heard somewhere (on this forum?) that the laplander ships with 1 of 2 different blades - not sure of the truth of that though but if I remember right one is supposed to be much better for greenwood.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I was using a brand new lapland this last weekend, and my 5 yr old opinel saw (mainly on green hazel). The opinel was vastly faster, but the laplander allows for slightly more controled fine cuts- eg. starting off a notch in a snare trigger.

I like the look and feel of the opinel with its rounded wooden handle. Its my favourite, and one which i'm often surprised you don't see much in bushcraft circles. Probably not as robust for group use though (which is why we bought laplanders for the Explorer Scouts).

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i have just bought upgraded version of the laplander with the eztra tough teeth and it cuts ggreen and seasoned wood, and is very impressive, have tryed both the silky boy and the laplander, and the silky boy was much faster than the laplander, but the new one i have bought is just as fast as the silkyboy, but a lot more robust like the laplander, so at the min a very happy bunny, and i got it for 10 pound of bb brand new and posted.
here it is.

foldingpruningsaw396HPm by lucky_lee, on Flickr
blurb from the site.

A general purpose folding pruning saw to tackle a host of general cutting chores. It is designed for cutting both green and dry wood and is ideal for professional fruit growers.
Using the highly acclaimed XT toothing configuration, the 396 is capable of cutting much faster than the conventional pruning saws.
The blade is made of heavy gauge steel with hardened teeth for extra durability.
The compact design with ergo-comfort handle provides for a perfect grip.
It has a safety lock for the folding blade.

fantastic, anfd the leather case i made for my old laplander fits this perfect, as its the same but better, i have weighed this two, and its a little lighter than the laplander, well it was on my scales lol.
take care.
lee.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i've said it before and I'll say it again.

Those who play in the woods use laplanders, but those who work in the woods use Silkys. There is a reason that silkys are the choice of those of us who need to cut trees for a living ;) They are more expensive than lappys but they knock spots off them and you can get a huge range of shapes, sizes and tooth patterns in folding and fixed blae varieties. I've got a couple and another two on order now. I know of a couple of professional tree surgeons who only use silkys when working aloft because they are safe and still fast enough to be viable economically :)

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
The lapplander blade is quite soft which is both good and bad. Good because it almost can't break, bad because it will bend. Good because you can resharpen the blade, bad because the blade wouldn't hold its edge like a hardened teeth saws.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE