silky pocketboy vs laplander saws

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The laplanders teeth are welded on to the blade aren't they? and are a bit wider than the blade itself.Hard teeth soft blade.

Whereas silkys are one piece and hollow ground.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i've said it before and I'll say it again.

Those who play in the woods use laplanders, but those who work in the woods use Silkys. There is a reason that silkys are the choice of those of us who need to cut trees for a living ;) They are more expensive than lappys but they knock spots off them and you can get a huge range of shapes, sizes and tooth patterns in folding and fixed blae varieties. I've got a couple and another two on order now. I know of a couple of professional tree surgeons who only use silkys when working aloft because they are safe and still fast enough to be viable economically :)
my best mate has been a tree surgeon for 30 years, and he does use silkys, but he also uses a few bacho's and he is certainly not playing in the woods as you call it, i asked him the same question which would you choose bud, his reply was, as long as it whips that branch of and i can crack on, and get on with me job im happy. when we go into the woods, we are not going in as tree surgeons, and its horses for courses, its what ever works, and the new bacho with hardened teeth is a much better upgrade out of the bacho's to the laplander, i'm not saying its better than the silky, but its not much worse.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I love my silky, you just show it to the wood, and the branch falls apart in utter terror.

I suspect those who have trouble with silkys are not used to the pulling mechanism...to me its instinctive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE