Sil-Nylon Tarp Repair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I've looked and haven't seen this question asked (Though I'm sure it has been, and my dial-up is playing tricks on me :rolleyes: ).

I bought a Chinook Guide Tarp (12x14) to replace a damaged Basha of mine. I wanted larger to make more space for students, as well as my own comfort. However, after only rigging it up twice, I tore a grommet from guying it too tightly (never knew I would have to compromise between rain-deflection and damaging a new ruddy piece of equipment). Sil-nylon from what I know, is not easily repaired (if it's even possible), but I can't send it back to the store because they were on sale with a no refund/return policy.

I was wondering if any of you folks had any suggestions. I like this tarp, and would rather repair than throw out or put on a back shelf like I had to with my poor basha.

Thanks in Advance,

Oz

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If the tear is near the edge, then do the best you can. It won't make much difference if it is near the edge, you just want to limit the possibility of further tearing. It might be worth doing away with the grommets and sewing some tapes in the corners to guy from, they'll be much stronger.

Hope you get it sorted, I too know that feeling of "cold shiver down spine and stomach starting to churn" after accidentally damaging a favoured piece of kit.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I saw these "clingons" the other day and it may be that they would be a better way to re-attach the guy.
http://www.rvops.co.uk/field-kit-81/essentials-20/clingons-1944.html
671bc4a2e025233a1f9c7a63be0050ed.image.250x211.jpg

I haven't used them yet but I intend to order some to go in my tool box, just for emergencies.

Z

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Thanks folks.

I agree, the grommets won't be used much anymore. But it's because of how the grommets are attached, that the fabric had a 2 inch tear put into it. I'll try the Tearaid definitely. As soon as I have sewing/sealing time, I'll be attaching tapes.

Again, thanks guys, I owe you one!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE