DIY sil nylon tarp attempt question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I'm in the process of making a tarp out of some rip stop nylon I bought ages ago. I'm going for a small size pocket tarp first and if successful will make a larger one.

Now I just about have got to grips with the sewing machine my Gran gave me though my sewing leaves much to be desired!

My question is about the Siliconing. I have some Fabsil left over from doing my Polish Lavvu but will this be enough to waterproof a tarp or will I need to dissolve some tubed Silicone into the mix as well?

Steve

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Fabsil is a slicon coating, not an impregnation like a good quality silnylon. It will only give water resistance.

I haven't used Fabsil for a couple of years, don't know if they have changed the solvent from white spirit to water. If it's still a spirit based coating, I'd wager them compatible for a DIY slinylon coating but i'd do a test piece before to find out how it performs.

Recomend a disposable foam roller to apply it and working very very quickly. ;)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I believe it's Naptha based but will check before trying to dissolve extra Silicone in it. I was thinking of dunking the whole tarp in a container of the liquid as the tarp is about the size of a can of pop fully scrunched up?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The dunk method will likely cause a lot of excess coating and will need the excess scraping off. Really hard to do in time before it goes gunky.

With a roller, just enough can be applied and it's already pitched and flat

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Rather than add some other (possibly non-compatible) silicon stuff to your Fabsil, I'd buy some more Fabsil.
I'd also go for the dunk method, give it a gentle squeeze to lose the excess and set it up as an A-frame to dry off. If you have enough Fabsil already to dunk your tarp , all the better. Go for it.

My two penn'orth.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
So how did this work out Steve??

I am looking at buying a decent sewing machine soon. One made for sewing jeans / denim up to 11 layers thick! Although I wont be diving in at the deep end. No doubt there will be an abundance of odd shaped cushions in my flat, long before I go about making a tarp or three, as well as stuff and waterproof bags too as I will be buying a kayak, also. No, I'm not rich. I will simply be inheriting a modest sum and intend to invest it on outdoors activities I can partake of.

Anyways, it would be really interesting to find out how you got on. Especially any extras you learned the hard way or found little work arounds for.

Cheers
Andy

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
@ Andy_K have you looked at any sewing machines? Which one have you in mind? I use industrial machines for sewing sails and leather and I would struggle to get 11 layers of denim under the foot, there is not enough clearance. Unless you are going for an enormous machine that will cost thousands and will not sew your stuff bags.

Last edited:

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Hello Birchwood.

Seems I lied. The ad actually states "Sew over up to 12 layers of denim and denim like fabrics". Id doesn't seem to be a particularly huge machine and at £170 or thereabouts, I wouldn't put it in the line of "industrial" either. Have a look for yourself mate, http://www.sewingmachinediscount.co.uk/product/1987/toyota-super-jeans-sp17xl--extra-strong-motor.html
Personally, I know next to nothing about sewing machines, other than to "watch my fingers". I would appreciate it if you think the thing's a piece of crap, to simply tell me so. I don't intend using it to go thru a dozen layers of denim, but there will be times where it will be required to go thru maybe 4 or 6 layers of light to heavy weight nylon fabrics. Maybe the odd pair of denims being hemmed along my way too.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That sounds like quite a machine!
Actually, if you are sewing pockets that have a hemmed top and pleated box sides you can easily end up having to go through 12 layers of fabric at the corners...
My Husquvana "Rose" sewing machine can get 12 layers of Waxed cotton under its foot - just!

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Lol, you completely lost me there John. As I said, I know sweet F.A. about sewing as yet. I only found out that I would need more oomph to it than the standard machine because I asked my sister if I could borrow hers.

I do remember the name Husquvana though. A friend had a "Husky 360" motor cross bike about 30 to 35 years ago. Was an amazingly powerful beast and sooooo much fun too :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Lol, you completely lost me there John. As I said, I know sweet F.A. about sewing as yet. I only found out that I would need more oomph to it than the standard machine because I asked my sister if I could borrow hers.

I do remember the name Husquvana though. A friend had a "Husky 360" motor cross bike about 30 to 35 years ago. Was an amazingly powerful beast and sooooo much fun too :)

Supposedly the same maker - bikes, chainsaws and embroidery sewing machines.... but I think the different branches are kinda separate...

As to learning to sew - my MYO clothing and gear books have a section of step by step " how to" hints and tips in them plus lots of projects :)

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
As to learning to sew - my MYO clothing and gear books have a section of step by step " how to" hints and tips in them plus lots of projects :)

They do??? Where do I get them from John? Something like that would be so much more useful to me than what I imagine the average "how to book" to be, with really helpful topics like "How to make yourself a pretty floral skirt for summer" etc. Have always suited a kilt better than a skirt and am in no way about to entertain the idea of making one of those. Far too much material and far too complicated, I reckon. Assuming you sell them yourself and take PayPal / bank transfer, then just drop me a PM with the details and I will be very happy to take a copy off your hands thanks!

Edit: I presume this is the one I just found in the market place John? What I couldn't make out was the price. Just a bundle of symbols on my screen :-/
Like the others who queued for a copy, I'l drop you a PM with al my relevant details.

One day I will learn to look before asking dumb questions ;)

Last edited:

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Sorry I dont know about that machine. Toyota are a good make though.
Personally I would only use the 110 needles (it comes with) to sew lightweight nylon type materials. ie.smaller thread.
Most problems in sewing thick/layers of fabrics is needle deflection.
I have not heard of a `gliding foot` sounds like something I would do on ice.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Thanks for that mate. I have no idea about needle sizes and which to use fr what fabrics - yet...

I agree with you regarding the sliding foot. Made me think of myself walking about the town, barefoot when its raining. Or even worse and still being barefoot. Discovering where some ignorant dog owner has NOT cleaned up after their pet, lol.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Silnylon I have found to be very very slippy, I'd doesn't self feed very well. Also it's very thin and weak in comparrison to teeshirt fabric. A standard sewing machine will go through lots of layers easily. Be sure to use wide stitches as you can sew your way through it like a cutting machine ! Give it to your sister!

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
You dont know my sister, mate. I would likely be sporting the results of trying the "It's womans work" thing on with her for some weeks, lol
Great advice on the sil nylon, thanks. All this stuff I don have a clue about as yet, but I shall get there in the end - once I get the machine - and will post up the viewable and usable results.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE