DIY sil nylon tarp attempt question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Hey Andy, I have been working away so only just seen your post.

Well my first attempt went ok. My stitching was awful but it looks like a tarp! I dipped it in plain Fabsil in the end and when dry water beaded off well. I decided to dissolve some black Silicone (tarp was black fabric) in the Fabsil and dunked it again and hung it to dry and it looks perfect. I also made up some runny silicone and brushed some on the seams and that too went well. I have yet to test it properly for waterproof ness.

Before I went away I started on another tarp in Olive Drab. The things learnt in sewing the other one made for a better job so far with less wonky stitching! I had a right mare with the sewing machine I borrowed and on changing the thread to better stuff it would not sew and either got tangled below or the stitching had great loops underneath!! It took me hours and watching lots of sewing vids to fettle the machine but once done it sews easily.

So far on the second attempt I have done the centre seam with the 3 rows of stitching but I ran out of thread after I used a load up in the fettling. I will be doing a bit more tomorrow so will get some pics on of my progress.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Find yourself some silicone or waxed thread it will seal the stitching holes , this what is used on top of the range tents.

Topknot

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
That's brilliant thanks Steve. I'l look forward to seeing the photo's. You gonna take them with the tarp pitched outside in the rain. You under it and a mate taking the photo's, so we can see how well it's working? ;) I'm really looking forward to being able to get the machine and material so that I can have go. I'l be buying other material too for various projects as well as the initial "complete 100% novice" period, lol.

Thanks for that Topknot! Good advice there thanks. Any idea of the tape that is / should be used on seams???

Many thanks again
Andy

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
I will do thanks. Even after I have become somewhat acclimated to the machine. I'l likely start of with simple bag type objects and work my up from there. I do't have what you might call a straiht eye as it is, so appreciate the need to start small.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Just dunked the second tarp in a clear Silicone/Fabsil mix and also sealed the seams with a thicker mix and it's hanging out to dry. I will get some more pics of the sewing when it's dry.

2fda6cb42f579b633f447e58eaf3bffd_zps6b61bd9f.jpg

b78651dbe6331b162788cb3df55072cb_zpsfbc236e6.jpg

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Very nice! Do they take long to dry properly Steve?
This is where not having a garden - i live in a 2nd floor flat with only a 4ft wide balcony - can be a pain in the butt.
Mind you, living alone helps. I "could" put a 15ft x 11ft tarp in the living room and leave the balcony door and window open, without getting grief or earache for my efforts ;)

Andy

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
A couple of hours and it will be dry, I put this out to dry at about 12:30 and it's about 70% dry? The fumes from the Naptha in the Fabsil are a bit strong if you do it indoors. The warmer the air the quicker. You can use other agents to dissolve the Silicone but stuff like White Spirit pongs long after it is dry unlike the Naptha based stuff.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Sort of thing I could do in the morning and then head off out for an overnighter having left my living room widow wide open.

25ft up, I dont see burglars coming in thru it and with it being 3ft square, then it should allow more than a breeze with which to aerate the room. Oh yeah, the windows (8ft x 3ft with the middle one opening) face south and if its a sunny day, then it really heats up in here - which is always good :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Until it's dry I reckon the wet tarp will be in a potentially explosive state and I'm unsure if the fumes could also become explosive in a small space? Just something to consider?

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Lol, wouldn't be the first time I blew myself up. Last one was cutting an aluminium fuel tank (about 6 ft long by 2.5ft square) in half, at work. Had a "secret" compartment built into it so the driver could 3/4 fill with red diesel (cheaper by far back then) and then top up with white. That way if he was dipped by customs, they only found white diesel. Anyway, I knew nothing of this at the time and lost most of my hair, my goatee and tash along with eyelashes and eyebrows. I did gain some pretty good blisters though!

You know the worst thing?? I could ask my sister if I could put it up in her "lovely big" garden but she would deem it unsightly or something :( Women eh!!

Seems I shall have to think of something else for drying as I would be bound to be walking into my living room with coffee in hand and roll up in my mouth. Maybe the thoughtful application of some bamboo poles to the floor and barrier / guard railings on the balcony, so as to form a large two sided triangle...

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Andy-K, Why dont you take it with you on your overnighter and hang it in a tree?
If you are not in a hurry to get away in the morning it will be dry and aired.
Perhaps away from the fire tho :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE