Winter catenary cut tarp with doors made from reflective Nylon.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I made a winter tarp a month ago for an upcoming arctic trip and managed to get some pics today before the light went. :)

I've always been impresses by the Finnish Loue shelters and how they work well with a campfire. I can feel the heat being reflected from the Aluminized fabric, not just from the fire but also from myself. Making a tarp with doors out of the same fabric made sense for use on colder hammock trips.

Here's what she looks like;

It's made from a 2oz Nylon that has an aluminium and polyurethane coating to provide the waterproofing. It's Infra-red reflecting and so reflects radiant heat from the fire/body heat back into the shelter. The silver coating has the added bonus of making the inside much brighter and reflects light well.

2 Polyester grosgrain loops on either side of the doors serve to keep the doors held back when the wind isn't blowing.

Every tie-out reinforced and bar-tacked for strength with Gutterman Tera 60. Panel pull outs stuck with McNett Seamgrip. Big loops make guying out easier whilst wearing mitts. Doors double stitched.

Polyester tubular webbing is bar-tacked on to make the high stress tie-outs. Polyester grosgrain and bias tape do all the other lower stress points.

Snow shedding set-up with no-pull outs.

1100g.
3.2m ridge x 3.1m.
Catenary cut external hems.
Catenary suspended ridge.
McNett Seamgrip on ridge to seal it.
Stainless 60kg split rings as tie-out failure points.
Clamcleat inline cleats for guys.
Stein 2.2mm throwline ridgeline.
Dutch Flys

Hope you like. :)

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That really looks the bizness, you must have put some hours of work into that; I bet you're pleased with that weight, considering the spec................Excellent design and execution!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great work mate! I really like that, well done! :)
Thanks Cameron.

That really looks the bizness, you must have put some hours of work into that; I bet you're pleased with that weight, considering the spec................Excellent design and execution!

Cheers Mac. It took about 2 days with all the farting about. The weight was the decider on not doing it in cotton.

Cracking work and nicely engineered, really like that...

Thanks Raskusdrotti.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
That's a very tidy, sound, looking job :D :approve:

I hope you have a great time when using it in earnest :D

cheers,
Toddy

Cheers Mary, will do. :)

Very smart setup there:)

Thanks Tiger.

Hey, just had a great idea !

if you hang it a foot lower, it could be a tent !

:p

Although I hate tents with a passion, it's measured to pitch on walking poles on the ground. The door bottom sits flat against the floor.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
What I like about this, is you have thought long and hard about the things you want from the tarp and designed it to deliver what u need. The bigger guy out loops etc. genius simple but always over looked. Good work mate. Your must be chuffed with the end result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ooh now that's a bit tidy Pete, nice to see it finally come to fruition.

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh soon.

I hope you'll bin that idea of fixing stakes to your guy lines now? :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
What I like about this, is you have thought long and hard about the things you want from the tarp and designed it to deliver what u need. The bigger guy out loops etc. genius simple but always over looked. Good work mate. Your must be chuffed with the end result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Tom :) I'd like to think it's genius, unfortunately it's hard learnt from trips that pushed the boundaries and a little cherry picking of the better made stuff out there.

Ooh now that's a bit tidy Pete, nice to see it finally come to fruition.

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh soon.

I hope you'll bin that idea of fixing stakes to your guy lines now? :)

Thanks mate :) Yep, it'll be there on the next winter one. I'm still using the captive stakes though. :AR15firin

Not for a pitch like the last winter tarp ender though. Lesson learnt-I should never have used the ti stakes wrapped around the deadmen. It should have been lines tied to dead-men buried under enough snow that it couldn't melt.

It was only a tarp, it could have been your eye impaled. Or even worse, my eye. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE