Signal crayfish...again!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Good points Matt - I didn't intend to treat the subject casually, but I'm getting frustrated at what seem at times to me to be petty regulations - even though they are most probably in place for good reasons (as you rightly point out).

I agree that it would be better if they (the signals) weren't here at all and I do agree that appropriate controls should be in place to minimise the chance of their spreading. However, where I live they are an infestation and I simply want to make use of that natural (or should I say unnatural) resource. When I talk to local anglers and ask them what they do with signals, the reply is usually "stamp on them".

It seems unfortunate that there is this food resource available but that the local (responsible) people who would like to make use of it find that the hurdles make it very difficult to do so legally. As with many things, it seems that if you are prepared to go illegal, it is dead easy (until you're caught), but if (like me) you want to be above board and legal, then it is very difficult to get permission.

Where I live I don't have the opportunity to catch my own food and I do think it is important as an omnivore that myself and my family do on occasions see that food does not simply come out of a plastic pack from the supermarket. Catching a few crayfish from the Thames is therefore more or less my only opportunity to partake in what is one of the fundamental experiences of living - that of turning something wild into food.

S.o.r.r.y. if this seems like a rant.

Geoff

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
Hi Geoff,

Apologies from my side also if my response came a cross as a rant - even if it was a bit 'ranty', it wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. I'm also pleased and impressed that you are doing the 'right thing' with regards to legality.

Where I live I don't have the opportunity to catch my own food and I do think it is important as an omnivore that myself and my family do on occasions see that food does not simply come out of a plastic pack from the supermarket. Catching a few crayfish from the Thames is therefore more or less my only opportunity to partake in what is one of the fundamental experiences of living - that of turning something wild into food.
Geoff

I agree with you entirely Geoff.

cheers

Matt

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
The crayfish information pack I got from the National Fisheries Laboratory is very informative, with various colour leaflets (with one laminated one that could be used quite well in damp conditions) and booklets telling you about the history of, and means of identifying, the various crayfish. There are actually several introduced species (about 4 I think) - not just the signal.

There are also quite a number of reports that you can find from a Google search that discuss the effectiveness of the various control methods.

Geoff

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Finally, can we get a little perspective here - I'm flippin' glad that Cheshire is largely free from signal Crayfish - they are an invasive species, not a food crop for all to enjoy! It's like saying "it's a pity there isn't more Himalayan Balsam around here - I like it".

Matt

Never thought about it like that, me being entirely s(h)elfish, looking at it like that it is a good thing, just would love to try and catch a few!
Only ever seen one crayfish about twenty years ago, at horton in ribblesdale. The bloke showing us picked up one rock and there was a crayfish, we let it go and spent the next hour about six of us lifting rocks and not finding another one!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I've just received my Environment Agency trap tags, so can start catching the little blighters.

One point of note -when I was applying I was required to specify a date or dates. My initial licence therefore expires at the end of this month. My understanding of crayfish ecology would lead me to believe that this will result in my removing the biggest crayfish and allowing juveniles to 'explode' in numbers. I am therefore going to apply immediately for an extension as I think I should maintain the trapping regime once started.

Watch this space.
:)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Marts,

Just curious to know how you got permission to trap from the owners /operators of the waters - I guess you must have done this before going for the EA license. Also, are you operating many traps? I was planning on only applying for one or two traps, as I don't plan to do this for anything other than personal consumption.

Please PM me if you would rather these answers weren't public - or tell me to mind my own business! :)

I'm not asking where you are going to trap, just a little more information on how you got local permission. I have tried the local town council (they control the waters in town) and have been told that they already have someone trapping, so I can't. My next plan was to contact (and if necessary join) one of the local angling clubs if they permit members to trap.

Thanks

Geoff

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
why is the law so complicated.
im an atheist so no big fan of holy books but i wish our laws and rules just said you can or you cannot like the bibles rules do.
Ive been trying to find out about the licence for crayfishing for a while now, my local rivers teeming with signal crayfish i could have eaten eaten and eaten and be sick of the sight of them many times over by now if the government website ive been told me exactly what i needed to do to get the bit of paper and exactly what that bit of paper allows me to do in plain and simple english.
I would have thought in a well run society the signal crayfish ( a prolific water way menace so i gather) would be free to catch without a bit of paper.
i sometimes wonder about this world

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Saw my first signal crayfish yesterday while canoe camping on the Thames.
I got talking with a friendly old boy who was very informative and happy to show us his trap which contained 8 of the buggers. The following morning there were 22

I can't verify this but he claimed that the Authorities (Environment Agency?)
stunned fish in one lake in the London area because they were concerned about the drop in numbers, and netted 5 tons of signal crayfish :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE