*sigh* cordage question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey guys,

I still haven't decided what cord to use for my setup, looking towards Kingfisher Dyneema

I'll be using it for my tarp ridgeline and tarp tieouts, but no doubt will also have offcuts which I will use for prussicks on my tarp edges and for my bugnet on my ridgeline.

Does it take a knot okay or is it slipperly like amsteel? I've been thinking about using short (~3") lengths of bungie on my tieouts and then running the static cord off those so theres a bit of give in the line in blustery weather.

Is this cord suitable for my needs? What thickness should I go for?

Thanks guys :)

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
Not used it myself, you may find it quite tightly packed though. Yachting sheets tend to be like that in my experience.

Any reason that you don't want to use 550 paracord? well sealed at the end it's geat for guy and ridge lines, very versatile all rounder cord the only downside is that if you use prussics on it then you may start to bunch the sheath up.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I use 1.5mm Dyneema with 3" of shockcord at tarp end connected with home made line runners that work excellent. No knots to tie and perfect pitch. I'll photo it and post if you like tommorow. Holds knots well too. I use 2mm for the ridgeline too, no sagging at all. Reduction in bulk over paracord was huge!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Spotted this stuff the other Highbinder .....

http://www.abaris.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=104_346&products_id=346

It looks similar to that Stein stuff I bought, not sure if it's dynaglide though ? I used up that 50m reel rigging my Ogee and Superfly tarps and only had about 3m left. Used it for my 4m guys with a 6" piece of shockcord tensioner in there and a 10m ridgeline with prusiks

Just spotted the Stein stuff too which is dynaglide, half the price of what I paid too :(

http://www.proclimber.co.uk/catalogue/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=342

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Not bad not bad, definately cheaper than my original link. 50m is a bit excessive though I don't know what I'd do with it all! (I figure I need 15-20m max)

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Thats exactly what was going through my mind but I cringe away from paying almost the same in postage as the product costs in the first place.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The kingfisher braid knots ok, because its not a braided core, it handles knots better than dyneema braid. I've been using the 3mm for my ridgeline and the 1.5 for tie-outs for well over a year. No sign of wear yet, and the sheath is still stuck to the core. Its more slippery than paracord obviously, but will jsut about take an evenk knot without slipping. I wrap the tree twice to be sure though-its rock solid in wind then and doesnt loosen.
Bear in mind thet the sheath is polyester, so wont slip like a pure dyneema braid. Its also still looks clean too, and sap doesn't seem to stick to it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE