Shrak - middle eastern campfire bread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
This is my first go at making Shrak, a middle eastern flatbread which is traditionally cooked on a 'saj' - but it seems an upturned wok works just as well!

The dough is plain flour, salt, dry yeast and water and it needs to be worked like a pizza base to get it as big and thin as it'll go. It looked a lot easier on youtube.

I like this method because unlike my Dutch Oven I can carry a wok quite easily and it has a variety of other uses and can be used to mix the dough as well.

COUssrqWgAEu4x1.jpg:large

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, I fancy making some flatbreads in the near future, does anyone make them when you're out and about?

what's the taste like Tom?

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
That looks very much like the bread that I used to pick up from the bakery every morning when I worked in Jordan.

I really liked it and haven't been able to find the same thing over here so I think that I'll try that.

Cheers, Michael.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a sneaking suspicion that there's some spice added. Maybe fennel, maybe cardamom, maybe ???? I can't decide.
Flour, salt, yeast & water is the basics of French-style bread (no fat). I don't bake flat breads as often as I should.
Haven't found a formula yet that reveals what the seasoning might be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE