Show us your tinderbox!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Again, not a tinderbox but definitely pyro-related.

A friend recently made me these beauties:

jwrwU2Rl.jpg

JOzJtCwl.jpg

Nicccccce! very sssssnake like. Cool work.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Well, not quite a conventional tinder pouch but I was raking in the garage and thought for a cold days entertainment I'll post some pictures......

This years Scout camp tinder pouch!

002 (505x600).jpg

with all sorts including cotton wool balls/pads, char cloth (and cut denim and tins for making), fire steels, flint and steels, bits of inner tube, jute string and a large pile of belly button fluff (this is the sweepings from the string factory I get), home made fat wood stick. A few bits and pieces to replace for next year.

003 (600x534).jpg

My personal pouch, I posted before, but added a Sam Browne and made a Mk2 with turned in seams.

005 (600x445).jpg

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I'm suffering from a touch of tinder-pouch-itis at the moment.

Thought this would be a nice idea for demonstrations/salesmans sample pouch of firelighting stuff but already it's too small.

001 (600x518).jpg

A nice size that opens up to reveal

002 (600x449).jpg

with lots of goodies inside.

thanks for looking.

003 (600x537).jpg

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I think that's a brilliant little pouch that!

The big dry bag reminds me of all the firelighting goodies I hoard! ;)

Thanks for sharing those monkieman!

Keep them coming people!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Ooh well I've been naughty! I've got another one, (yes, I know :p), no where near as nice as Tombears, but here it is:

image_zpsb733e305.jpg
[/IMG]

Keep this thread going, show us your tinderbox, or fire pouch or whatever, we want to see! :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ooh well I've been naughty! I've got another one, (yes, I know :p), no where near as nice as Tombears, but here it is:

image_zpsb733e305.jpg
[/IMG]

Keep this thread going, show us your tinderbox, or fire pouch or whatever, we want to see! :)

Very nice that oblong job. These folk made my box for me

http://www.cg-tinsmith.com/catalog2.htm#Tinderbox

a modified version of this one, I asked for mine to be pocket sized with a double sided lid so the candle holder can go inside the tin when in transit. And no finger loop to get broken.

Atb

tom

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Seriously lovely stuff on that link, I guess you can't have to many tinderboxes...I feel I may get something from them one day!

Thanks for sharing that! :).

Lets we them people!

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Just received this today. Thought it might be bigger (well I wanted it to be) but in the hand it's a little small for tinder. It'll come in handy for powdered chagga.

Christmas Wreath Tutorial 015 (600x275).jpg

Christmas Wreath Tutorial 016 (600x469).jpg

and it's exactly the same age as me:lmao:

Really well made. I've got details of where I got it if anyone is interested.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Just received this today. Thought it might be bigger (well I wanted it to be) but in the hand it's a little small for tinder. It'll come in handy for powdered chagga.

View attachment 26607

View attachment 26608

I'd be interested! Looks good to me, powered chaga is a great tinder and tea too! :)

Keep them coming!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

View attachment 26607

View attachment 26608

Same age as you? I though it would be a ducat then:lmao:

Sorry pulling your leg I'm of a similar vintage. That's a really nice wee box, I do like things made out of old bawbees.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Goatboy.
Not to worry as I've got one leg longer than the other (it's been pulled a few times).:)

The bawbee might have been a bit wee and a lot more expensive I think. It was all my pocket money for the half crown!

Thanks

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
only got access to a camera again now...

comes in a handmade pouch which is a roadkill hare i bark-tanned myself (my first time, was quite trial and error but it worked). i wish i made it a drawstring close pouch instead of a belt pouch though. i used a moose tooth as a button.
2v3hv6v.jpg

the back...
21ls8dz.jpg

my tin (with a hole so it can be used for makign charcloth also)...
262sm00.jpg

contents...
14wgfn4.jpg

i guess not all that is in there is strickly tinder or even fire related, but its the closest thing i have to a tinderbox at the moment (soon to change though due to some advice i picked up off here recently).

a small lighter
some electrical tape
a sewing needle
a small box of dental floss
a small clear plastic bag (underneath everything)
some strips of innertube
a bit of jute swine
some cotton wool
a few waterproof matches and striking pad
and a buck mini multitool

ive also got a really small tin with some charcloth and charred cotton balls in it.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Thanks, the tube job is based on various 19th C ones I've seen

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=249095

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tinderbox.jpg

it was very easy to make, just find a bit of brass tube big enough to fit a pistol flint width wise and a bit of thin brass sheet from the model shop and several burns later bobs your uncle!

i made several rolls of linen to fit the tube and charred them when I did the next batch of char cloth so I don't have to try and roll up the black stuff to refill the kit when I run out.

these are easy to make, a tinder horn to store a supply of tinder but perfectly usable as a tinderbox if you want. Would look well scrimshawed.
atb

tom

awsome idea !

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
only got access to a camera again now...

comes in a handmade pouch which is a roadkill hare i bark-tanned myself (my first time, was quite trial and error but it worked). i wish i made it a drawstring close pouch instead of a belt pouch though. i used a moose tooth as a button.
2v3hv6v.jpg

the back...
21ls8dz.jpg

my tin (with a hole so it can be used for makign charcloth also)...
262sm00.jpg

contents...
14wgfn4.jpg

i guess not all that is in there is strickly tinder or even fire related, but its the closest thing i have to a tinderbox at the moment (soon to change though due to some advice i picked up off here recently).

a small lighter
some electrical tape
a sewing needle
a small box of dental floss
a small clear plastic bag (underneath everything)
some strips of innertube
a bit of jute swine
some cotton wool
a few waterproof matches and striking pad
and a buck mini multitool

ive also got a really small tin with some charcloth and charred cotton balls in it.

Great kit! Keep them coming!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Cameron,

Got a scrumptious Copper Hudson Bay Tinder Box Deluxe for Christmas with lots of extras. Will post up some pics later. Been sitting playing with it all day - a very tactile thing.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Hi Cameron,

Got a scrumptious Copper Hudson Bay Tinder Box Deluxe for Christmas with lots of extras. Will post up some pics later. Been sitting playing with it all day - a very tactile thing.

Nice one Colin mate! They're great aren't they! :) I'm looking forward to the pictures :).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE