My Boone Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Early on Friday morning we set of for the woods to do my first nights out since before October thanks to a broken leg. I was really excited and I didn't sleep much the night before because of it! my Dad was doing a bit of a Boone, I was going proper 17th/18th century! he took a Bivvy bag, sleeping bag and a mat. I had an axe and a knife, he had a laplander (we did use each others a bit though, even though the saw is mine in the first palce)! we arrived in our spot at about 8:30, we did about 2 miles as ive been told not to overdo it. we spent most of the day collecting wood and setting up camp. I always enjoy company, and he enjoys coming too, so there was no way he was staying at home, there were loads of laughs around camp and we both had a smahing time!

my kit list was:

Gary Mills Timberwolf knife
Gransfors Bruks small forest axe
Mors pot
Titanium Spork
Tamarack Outdoors Titanium Mug
Bilmo Bushgear 3x3m canvas tarp (I will be reviewing this later today)
bilbank bag (I will be reviewing this later today too!)
Hudsons Bay 3.5 Point blanket, 100% wool, very nthick and warm
and a Yugoslavian army 100% wool blanket
UCO brass canle lantern with a beeswax candle in (Thanks Stoz!)
a stainless steel waterbottle
Hudsons Bay tinderbox, for the flint and steel fire
all packed up in the Frost River Isle Royale Bushcraft Pack.

It was quite light really, about 11 odd Kilos- which is easily manageable for me. it was simmilar to our basic kit list anyway, but I usually use a sleeping bag, I'm not going to very often now, I love the tradtional way. got the fire going at about dinner time for a brew and a cup-of-soup and kept it going until bed time and did the same the next day too. I do most fires by flint and steel these days and its my favourite way, I have now replaced everything in my tinderbox, bar the striker, that I have found or made, such as chaga, amadou, flint, charcloth. cramp balls,paper birch bark and loads of other stuff I collected and processed myself, a great feeling! it was about 8-10 degrees celsius all day and about 2 at night (felt colder but thats what the forecast said). there was some showers and not much wind but I was dead cosy! we went for a plow point set up with the tarp, worked a treat and the tarp was absoluelty fanatastic, reveiw to come! we did quite a few ittle projects around camp like building a pot hanger, carving our ownn tent pegs and making a fire reflector. we made them all out of dead wood, we were in a large natural pine forest, most green branches were out of reach, the wood all held up well and we burnt it in the fire before we left, so there was no trace of pothangers lying around. we had a fairly small but really hot fire, kept us warm no end, we cleared to bare earth beore lighting and wet the ground before covering it up with natural forest floor litter, so there was no trace we had ever been there :).

got back this morning feeling great and really enjoyed two nights of booning it!

here are some pictures, we didnt take many as we were having too much fun!

image_zps04eaf552.jpg

image_zps05740765.jpg

image_zpsd3cd08bb.jpg

image_zps057fe22f.jpg

image_zps3183499a.jpg

image_zps73b78b11.jpg

image_zpsc3ec4224.jpg

image_zps455359fc.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed it! :)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice one Cameron.

Great to get out after an enforced grounding isn't it!

Great report, looks like you and your Dad had a whale of a time. Good pics and a chance to play with all your lovely kit. Glad you lit the fire the trad way - though you've no excuse with your striker collection ;).

Cheers for posting it up mate always good to see folk having fun.

ATB,
GB.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
well done yungsta!...woods

Thanks woods! :)

Well done , nice way to recover from a broken leg Cameron

Cheers Steve, it certainly is! :)

Nice one Cameron.

Great to get out after an enforced grounding isn't it!

Great report, looks like you and your Dad had a whale of a time. Good pics and a chance to play with all your lovely kit. Glad you lit the fire the trad way - though you've no excuse with your striker collection ;).

Cheers for posting it up mate always good to see folk having fun.

ATB,
GB.

Cheers Colin! We sure did enjoy it! And I don't have an excuse wi all those strikers! Thanks for the kind words everyone! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE