Show us your tinderbox!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hit the carboots and jumble sales rather than use a good big horn, they always have touristy horns for next to nowt, I've several waiting to be turned into useful stuff. the pointy end is good for a ink horn or a salt horn like this one

SaltHornFinished_zpsb3f21343.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Show us your drinking horn please mate

Oooeerrr misses! It's in the boot of the car from the last revelry session (where sadly it didn't get used :rolleyes:, though the leather tankard did;)) Can I take a pic tomorrow and post it up for you then? It's not fancy , just a full horn with a horn stand. Never gotten 'round to embellishing it yet. Tomorrow I promise. (With my lovely tankard - Thank you Belzeebob!)

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Oooeerrr misses! It's in the boot of the car from the last revelry session (where sadly it didn't get used :rolleyes:, though the leather tankard did;)) Can I take a pic tomorrow and post it up for you then? It's not fancy , just a full horn with a horn stand. Never gotten 'round to embellishing it yet. Tomorrow I promise. (With my lovely tankard - Thank you Belzeebob!)

Ha Yep no worries I'll keep an eye out

sgtoutback

Nomad
Jun 29, 2010
Near the fundy
Great examples. Makes me want to go make one. I just have a small waterproof bag full of stuff, but its not as nice as teh ones on this thread.

Last edited:

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Oooh that horn one tom is stunning, really nice! And cameron that really is quite a collection you've got there! Does it all get used? Some seriously nice kit here!

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
After seeing the kits on this thread I am a little embarrassed to post a picture of my NBC box filled with cotton wool and a small tin of vasaline.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Oooh that horn one tom is stunning, really nice! And cameron that really is quite a collection you've got there! Does it all get used? Some seriously nice kit here!

Surprisingly yes, one of my main activities when I'm out is flint and steel so lots of different configurations and it all gets used, although not all at one time ;).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
After seeing the kits on this thread I am a little embarrassed to post a picture of my NBC box filled with cotton wool and a small tin of vasaline.

Post it! It's still a tinderbox :), If it works for you, that's all that matters :).

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Right, not having this! I refuse to be a man without a cool tinderbox. I'll get to work building one for camera time next week! and you better fear it's awesomeness! ;)

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Some very, very nice kits here!
But Tombear... you take the cake!

I've shown mine befor, but here it is;
DSC07343.jpg

DSC07349.jpg

DSC07346.jpg

It contains:
A small handfull of thin, dry birchwoodchips
Some very resinous strips and pieces of pine
Thin, resinous strips of pine, that can be used as "matches"
A few chunks of pure pineresin in a baggy, so the rest doesn't get glued together
A buckshotshell with lid, containing more than a dozen matches and strikingstrip
A small Finnish knife with salmonskinsheath
Birchbarkstrips in various thicknessess
A small beeswaxcandle

Been using it for a year or 2 like this and I still like it. I usually have a firesteel with me as well.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
If any one doesn't fancy making their own ( it's a bit smelly ) I can make them up some sulphur matches to fit their kits if they let me know the sizes they want.

theres some really nice kits there, gives me plenty of ideas. I need to score some more styles of steel.

the three lads all love to join in and get great satisfaction from getting a light from flint and steel,

ATB

Tom

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
If any one doesn't fancy making their own ( it's a bit smelly ) I can make them up some sulphur matches to fit their kits if they let me know the sizes they want.

theres some really nice kits there, gives me plenty of ideas. I need to score some more styles of steel.

the three lads all love to join in and get great satisfaction from getting a light from flint and steel,

ATB

Tom

That's a very kind offer
Could you post a link or something of how to make them as I wouldn't mind a go just for fun :).

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Here's a link to th tutorial I did

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55198

but you can dip all sorts, thin splints, oat straws, strips of thick brown paper.

sulphur can be got from garden centres or pet supply stores, it's used as a supplements in dogs drinking water and from eBay. Read up on the precautions of course and don't over heat it as as well as th fire risk it goes thick and gloopy.

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ta! Yup best done on a warm windy day with your back to the breeze. The last batch I did sitting on the kitchen door step and it started raining just as I did the last one, stank the place out as there was no wind as such. It's not as if I'd even run short! D'oh!

atb

tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE