Should I be ashamed? Or am I paranoid?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Hi all, hope your enjoying the start of spring, and the nicer weather,

I have 3 GB axes, the hand hatchet, the wildlife hatchet and the small forest axe. I love them all dearly and care for them like newborns and they have NEVER let me down. Not once.

However, on the latter two axes, I must admit to buying them from Woodlore, back when I was a raving Ray Mears fan.. This means the helves have the RM snowshoe logo, and not gransfor's Bruks. so I must ask you as a collective, is having a GB axe from Woodlore considered a cardinal sin of bushcraft? If I'm seen using it will I be branded a ray mears clone? How many of you have Woodlore bought axes? Hahaha it shouldn't bother me this much.. I'm just interested to see what the general consensus is ;)

All the best! Lewis

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
an axe is an axe, I really don't think the fashion police are too bothered which label it caries so long as you can use it

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I was given my SFA as part of the camp craft course I attended with Woodlore.

It's got their logo on it but so what, they sell axes and other kit and my SFA is a nice reminder to me of a good course that I enjoyed.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I agree got mine (SFA)in a trade on here but while I was looking a thinking about buying one wood lore were the best price.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I dislike all logo labels - I even removed the label from my Swanni - I would sand off the salesman,s logo but not the craftman,s mark... therefor I would leave the GB marks on my axe but if I bought one through Woodlore I would clean the mark off ...
If TKMax sold items rebranded with their own label that would come off - if I bought a custom knife I would leave the makers mark visible :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
You should be ashamed. Don't worry though, help is at hand. Send the two Woodlore branded axes to me, and I'll take the shame for you instead. I have no shame anyway.

And if you think this isn't a sincere and generous offer made out of the kindness of my heart, then yes, you are paranoid.

:)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Never seen one before but I imagine if the logo rubbed on my hand when in use it would be a problem. If not then err nah ;)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I do dislike logos particularly when they're not the original makers too. Though I wouldn't do anything about it if I had one.

But wouldn't be bothered too much if the handle failed, and needed replacing. :)

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Hahahaha great! As long as it's not some sort of unspoken faux pas! ;) Toddy, quite right and that was the reason I used Woodlore :) thanks ozzy, i guess the bushcraft lot aren't the sort to be fashion police ;) mesquite and weekender - great excuse haha ;) John Fenna, I share your philosophy!! And harvestman that's too very kind of you I couldn't possibly! ;) dwardo, neither the RM or the GB logos effect use in any way so thanks.. Jared, quite right but the paradox of it is that the handles are of such high quality I'd be gutted if it had to be replaced! :p wingstoo.. "Spear and Jackson" should I have heard of them? :p

Hope I haven't missed anyone?

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
My SFA is a mears, they had the best price at the time and I didn't mid supporting the bloke who got my into the axes in the first place.

No one's ever noticed it and to be honest it's only the real anoraks who would.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh I wouldn't bother about the logos. Don't hanker after them but if they're on there so what, just use it properly. (Got in last night to find my neighbour using a his axe on loose gravel, in the dark with a drink in him! And his left leg was in line with the blade as he flailed about.)
Couldn't watch and needless to say he's not borrowing my wee Husqvarna axe again.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I bought my Mora clipper from Woodlore when I first got interested in outdoor/forest activities, and the logo is etched on the blade.

People that don't know assume that anything with a logo on it must be a rip off, which is certainly not the case with anything Woodlore sell; their prices are usually very good. It is simply a sensible piece of marketing.

Be proud!

rg598

Native
I think what you do once the tool is in your hands matters a lot more than what logo it has. So what? You like Ray Mears. Nothing wrong with that. If you can use the tool well, that's all that matter.

What I do find hilarious is when people get decked out in all of the brand name, top of the line gear, and then have no idea what to do with it. Like when you go skiing and see some guys with all the gear (helmet, full body spandex suit, "sponsor" logos, top of the line skis) who then go on the bunny slope and spend the day trying not to fall.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I think what you do once the tool is in your hands matters a lot more than what logo it has. So what? You like Ray Mears. Nothing wrong with that. If you can use the tool well, that's all that matter.
Good point.

If you can rustle up a perfect feather stick with curls so fine you can barely see them (I can't!) then who cares what your knife looks like. Or your axe for that matter.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Still a fantastic axe, mate. If you really doon't like the logo, sell that wildlife axe to me, or donate it ;)

I don't have any Ray Mears branded gear myself, but I'd be happy to as he is one of the reasons I got into bushcraft. Don't mind the haters, he's a good man that has done a lot of good.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE