Lovely little cutters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Hello folks. I hope it is a sunny bushcraft afternoon chez vous!

I thought I would let the collective have a look at these little cutters. They are very nice in the hand. 4 - 5mm thick blades so pretty substantial, 2.5 inch long. One has a wood handle (I reckon Rosewood or something of that ilk) and the other is antler. They both came with handmade, inverted neck sheathes that are a decent quality.

...and here is the intriguing bit. One is stamped Woodlore and the other Sheffield but both are stamped 'Ray Mears'. Same style of lettering on both so probably the same maker. They are pretty old and the stamping is by machine.

Now I am making ABSOLUTELY NO CLAIMS OF PROVENANCE as they could be from anywhere, I have no hard evidence, and someone in the know may be able to tell me the origin. But interestingly, they fit the descriptions in Ray's book 'My Outdoor Life' of his prototypes quite well and he states himself that when he moves on with a design he discards previous knives. What I do know is I bought them from an established, respected collector/dealer who acquired them as part of a large collection of handmade bushcraft knives by UK makers that he has been selling on.

You be the judge ;)

Whether they have connections to 'bushcraft royalty' :p or not doesn't really bother me. They are very well made, rock solid little knives that are worth what I paid for them just as good knives (I have been buying knives for many years so I think I have a vague idea :rolleyes:). I certainly did not pay the earth or the usual RM connected mark-up and they will be getting some good use.

Enjoy the pics...

K

Attachments

• DSCI2513.JPG
    DSCI2513.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCI2514.JPG
    DSCI2514.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Those are just great. The handles are bit on the slender side ... for what I look for anyway. But I can really see the appeal.

I love tiddler knives, and have got yet another one on the way. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE