Shotguns aren't the problem – criminals are

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
It should be...prosecute the criminals and not persecute the law-abiding citizens.

Britain has a wonderful history and traditions of peaceful sporting firearms use. I hope that it continues to favor the law-abiding sportsmen.

Gordy

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
The regime for owning a section 1 firearm is the reverse: it must be required for a good reason – such as stalking or rabbiting –

Is rabbitinig a reason to own a full blown rifle? just curious.

I do like this article as it is not sensational...good man!

Mojo

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep. If you want to take rabbits at a distance - which is often necessary on open Downland for example. Once you are over 50 yards, neither an air rifle nor a shotgun is really up to the job. A .22LR or .17HMR is fine - no rubbish in the meat either

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
yeah i can understand the reason you'd need one at that distance.....just questioning if shooting rabbits alone would be enough justification.....

would you need to prove it's to protect you business (if you fear for a crop)
or its part of an environmental programme of pest control...at which point you'd have the backing of local authorities anyway?

the point i'm making is, can 'Joe Bloggs' rock up the the local bobbies and say he wants to shoot rabbits on his land and that alone be justification enough?
surely they would need to have a reason for controling the bunny population?

mojo

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Maybe the pendulum is starting to swing back. As a very enthusiastic hunter and shooter, I'm apprehensive that US firearms laws are going the same way Britain's have, even though our founders believed that an armed citizenry was the only guarantee of personal liberty.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
.....just questioning if shooting rabbits alone would be enough justification.....

Free people always have the right to bear arms. That should be the only justification needed. In England, that was once part of the difference between a 'freeman' and a 'serf'.

If you aren't a homicidal maniac, owning a gun won't make you one. If you are, not owning a gun won't make you not one.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
yeah i can understand the reason you'd need one at that distance.....just questioning if shooting rabbits alone would be enough justification.....

would you need to prove it's to protect you business (if you fear for a crop)
or its part of an environmental programme of pest control...at which point you'd have the backing of local authorities anyway?

the point i'm making is, can 'Joe Bloggs' rock up the the local bobbies and say he wants to shoot rabbits on his land and that alone be justification enough?
surely they would need to have a reason for controling the bunny population?

mojo

Joe Bloggs? Don't know. The land would be checked for safety with the calibre and Joe Bloggs ability to shoot verified. Often for stalking, there is a requirement to be accompanied by an experienced shooter for a while.

Other than that - sure - why not? If its okay to shoot rabbits with an airgun or shotgun for food or pest control, a .22 rimfire is onlt different in that it has a better range.

Clearly if you have criminal convictions or history of mental illness, or cannot show you have the right security for the firearm then it will not be granted.

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
can 'Joe Bloggs' rock up the the local bobbies and say he wants to shoot rabbits on his land and that alone be justification enough?

Short answer - yes.
Slightly longer answer - yes, that justification can be enough, (reason = vermin control) but he still has to satisfy all the other criteria for getting a FAC.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Try to remember that it's the World Wide Web guys. In many jurisdictions you can buy a rifle at the supermarket without the benefit of any documentation.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Try to remember that it's the World Wide Web guys. In many jurisdictions you can buy a rifle at the supermarket without the benefit of any documentation.

And here we are on BCUK so are really only worried about uk firearms laws, not wanting to be nasty just making a point:240:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

When the Telegraph comments on UK legislation, the context is self evident.

Much as I wish the legislation was much less onerous - as it was when gun crime and all violent crime was far lower in this country!

Red

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
And here we are on BCUK so are really only worried about uk firearms laws, not wanting to be nasty just making a point:240:

I don't want to be nasty either, but I do want to make a point. This is the Internet. It goes around the world. And if you are confused about this in terms of the forum itself, I will post Tony's position so that it's absolutely clear.

UK is where the site is based, we have a large international membership and we welcome more every day, the skills and knowledge is international...

Red is quite right in terms of the original context of the discussion. But there is a broader context as well, by the shear fact that this is an international forum. So don't be surprised that people from other parts of the world have their opinions as well and state them. As always, good forum decorum is that you show respect for all opinions, as long as they are within the boundaries set by the forum.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
.....or me

It was a breath of fresh air to read an article about the problem with violence that realises it is the person that kills - not the tool, rather than yet another pointless and counter productive knee jerk from the sillyu brigade

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
british red you talk so much sense its untrue and i wish the government were as sensible and and wise as you cos i would love to get a shot gun but cant be bothered with the licencing and secondly dont have a permission yet sp untill i have permission i wont even think about licencing but it really is putting me off cos they say a gun kills well no it doesnt cos a loaded gun will not go of unless its fired and surely the firer chooses were to aim it and thats what kills

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE