Shotgun License Application Advice Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Rumour has it there is now a courier who is a registered RFD. I know it doesn't get you a look see but in terms of good deals!

To be honest, it looks just like your AYA but less pretty.

Just thought some of you might like to hear how this played out in the end.
Realized you you don't need to fit a cabinet before the interview, which I had today. All went well, longer and more in depth than I expected. F.A officer was a very nice chap, and should have my cert in a couple of week.
Thanks for the advice from all you shooters.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Welcome to the fraternity!

Go out and buy something cheap but solid is my advice now. All posh clay shooters will tell you to buy an o/u - but they will still enjoy shooting that fixed choke side by side when it comes out :)

Look for something like Rich's Beeza or an nice AYA no 4. Slab of no. 6 shot thrown in and you are good to go!

Never sell it though. Wish I had never sold my old single shot BSA .22 :(. First guns have a special place!

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
How long did it take from sending your application in until your interview? I sent mine in on monday.my reference got a call on wed but i suppose it’s just a waiting game now. Cheers.

Sounds about right, fraction longer in my case. Put my application in early Oct, interview beginning Dec, should have my licence in 2 - 3 weeks apparently. So about 10 weeks or so. Could have had my interview a little sooner, but work commitments didn't allow.
I'm sure timetable varies depending on the area, and perhaps the applicant.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've got a gun cabinet I bought ages ago. It's steel with 2 locks but would it need some sort of certification to store shotguns/firearms in it?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It needs to be 2mm thick, and be securely bolted to the building fabric. It should be anti pry with internal hinges.

There are standards, but non standard stuff is fine if your local FLO approves it. People with large collections have walk in rooms made up to spec

Further update...
Received my Certificate in the post today. So, good, professional, speedy service from my local constabulary IMHO.
Looking forward to some shooting over the Christmas / New Year period! Still not planning to buy my own gun yet, but that might change.
(Anyone in the East Anglia area, fancy showing a new gun the ropes? Then I'd be very grateful.)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Good job I saw this thread! :D

I'm thinking of getting into shot guns again.

I remember reading/ being told that shot gun cabinets didn't need to be bolted to a wet wall? Is this so?

Andy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I believe the options are a "structural or weight bearing" wall. PLasterboard...no....brick....yes....block...tricky

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I believe the options are a "structural or weight bearing" wall. PLasterboard...no....brick....yes....block...tricky

Sounds logical but it brings us back to my earlier question regarding living on a boat. Originally I was asking if that would satisfy the address requirements; now I'm wondering if a boat could satisfy the "structure" requirements fo storage?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Fair enough. I was thinking though of the wooden canal boats I used to see when stationed there. I suppose the correct answer is, "It's possible in theory but the devil is in the details."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE