Shotgun License Application Advice Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Quick question for the shooters out there.
I am about to put in my shotgun application. Currently I have no interest in buying a gun, but do attend a local clay pigeon shooting venue with a licensed friend who hires a gun. I'm applying for my own license as I would like to be able to go and hire a gun at the venue and shoot clays on my own, attend my village's local gun club (where I could borrow a gun), and accept invites to some small organized shoots.
Now my question is, bearing in mind I currently don't want to buy a gun, do I need to go to the expense of buying and fitting a gun cabinet prior to my interview / visit? Of course, if at some point in the future I get more seriously into my shooting I would need to get my own gun, at which time I would naturally buy and fit a cabinet.
Just not sure of the firearms officers approach to my situation?
Thanks in advance.

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
The fact that you have a shotgun certificate means that you could go out and buy a gun at any time. with that in mind it is very unlikey that one would be granted if you dont have secure storage available.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
You can only borrow guns at clubs if they have a Section 11 exemption. My club has that for instructed sessions, but not for competition shoots (which are unsupervised) so my son's going to have to apply.

My understanding is that you can have a certificate without a cabinet but you may end up with an exemption to home storage marked on it - it's reasonably common, think of shooters who are in rented accommodation and therefore can't fit a cabinet, so have to store at their local club.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Gun security is the holders responsibility. The Firearms Officer (FAO) who visits may only advise on security, not insist. Having said that, if you go against their advice they will take it as being awkward and could deny your application. You would then have to go to court to get them overruled which is expensive.

A British citizen has the right to own a shotgun and the police have to find 'good reason' to deny certification.

Anyway there is an easy way out, just ask for a condition on the certificate saying that you may not purchase or hold a shotgun and that will be that. This is often done for children who, like you, want a certificate to shoot but are really too young to hold. A down side is that should you decide to buy one later you will need a fairly expensive variation as well as storage so it might be better to just buy the storage now. Talk to BASC (you are a member? worth it just for the insurance alone) and give your FAO a call, they are human and their job is working to issue you with a ticket, not deny you.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'd have a chat with you local firearms licensing team, after all they will be the people who you have to satisfy. I'd put the application in and see what they say before buying a cabinet.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well worth having the cabinet regardless if you can afford one. There are lots of cheap shotguns around - not always the prettiest but solid and workmanlike. You can get a sound shotgun for under a hundred quid.

I picked up a second hand 3 gun cabinet a while back for £50 - keep your eyes peeled on e-bay, at the gun club, especially at rifle clubs (people tend to buy small ones and then upgrade), freecycle etc.

Happy to discuss types, sizes etc.

Red

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I can only echo what British Red has said. One of my working shotguns, a side-by-side 12 bore came my way for the princley sum of £20.00!

Well if I can get something serviceable for under £200, maybe I should think about my own gun. We have a local gun shop which is a proper old school down to earth sort of place, so going to pay them a visit, initially about cabinets.
At the other end of the spectrum, have a friend visiting this weekend who is a master barrel maker for Purdy's (!) he has absolutely no interest in shooting however.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its certainly doable David. A nice multichoke over and under in mint nick? Not a chance!

A perfectly good fixed choke boxlock side by side with plain wood? Easy. Or a single barrel for under a hundred? Sure.

Something like my AYA would be easy to get

AYA No.3 12 bore SBS by British Red, on Flickr

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Always worth it, one of my s/s is up for sale (BSA box lock) for £150 so I can replace it with a O/U.

I wouldn't be without as occasionally a friend says something like 'It would be nice to thin out those pigeons'... at which point my ears ***** up and I go racing home for the gun.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Always worth it, one of my s/s is up for sale (BSA box lock) for £150 so I can replace it with a O/U.

I wouldn't be without as occasionally a friend says something like 'It would be nice to thin out those pigeons'... at which point my ears ***** up and I go racing home for the gun.

You're not selling the old blunderbuss we had out the other week!?!?!? ;)

As others have been saying a serviceable shotty can be picked up for very little money and will give years of service with a little regular tlc

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Any pitting Rich? What barrel and choke?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
No mate, that's the other cheap bugger I am keeping. This one is the safe one, I forgot I had snap caps in the other one remember!!!

I think Stuey laughed at that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE