Tool Box Inventory

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
There’s a satisfaction from getting a job done with hand tools, a real connection to the work piece….

Then there’s getting the job done so you can move on to the next task.

Reactions: British Red

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A member here - looking at you Steve - gave me a no.8 once - a very generous gift that I treasure. Old tools have a soul and still work beautifully - I also own a lot of DeWalt XR cordless tools. There's a place for both
It was a No. 8? I always had it in my head it was a No. 5 :)

Either way I'm happy you have it Hugh as it gets far more use than I'd ever give it :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm looking at everything that's being suggested and they're all great ideas but I think TeeDee's going to have problems fitting it all into one toolbox. But then that's the way with tools, you always need more toolboxes to put everything in :lmao:

Whatever you do end up getting TeeDee please make sure you post a picture or two of it all so we can see what you went with :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It was a No. 8? I always had it in my head it was a No. 5 :)

Either way I'm happy you have it Hugh as it gets far more use than I'd ever give it :)
Honking great no. 8. Guy who handmade our sliding hardwood windows loved it. He loved a hand plane. Fitted every window by planing. You couldn't put a cigarette paper in the gaps when finished. No sealant required. Sadly he retired after finishing our place

Reactions: ESpy and Mesquite

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Already been said, but I can't emphasise enough the electric testing pen, and hit that home... even if he knows it all and is invincible, just remind him.

I've been zapped before through the carelessness of an electrician, but equally, I was careless not to check it myself... didn't ruin my day, nor do anything other than open the colourful language valve...and it really upset the electrician because of the whole "what could have happened" scenario.

Oh that and a packet of 15mm stop ends incase he has a run in with any of the plumbers I've experienced :rage:

Not brand specific, but one of these has been well used by me https://www.screwfix.com/p/bahco-combination-square-12-300mm-/3870k

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Not sure if it's been mentioned, and it's arguably a bit outside the remit of this thread, but a stud, pipe and cable detector can save a lot of heartache - and money.

Now tell me, which queue do I join for the #8s? :)

Reactions: ManFriday4

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
Mole grips and a hefty adjustable spanner are essential for emergency plumbing jobs. The older the tool the longer it will last, avoid anything from poundland, or from the likes of B&M or Wilko for sure. Some of the tools I moved into my first flat with were from my grandfather and my great grandfather.
Old tools from boot fairs/ junk markets. Avoid power tools (possibly stolent).

2 identical adjustable wrenches/ spanners, set of stilsons copper pipe cutter.

Blowtorch- for making toasted cheese- why else?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I do love tools and I confess to keeping some and even buying some for their own sake because I find them beautiful. This is especially true of old hand tools. I
Anyone else find that stainless steel adjustable spanners back off when you release the worm where old steel tools do not.

Reactions: ManFriday4

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE