Shotgun/FAC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you have a FAC or Shotgun licence?

• I've got a Shotgun licence

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • I've got a Firearms certificate

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • I've got both :-)

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • I'm thinking of applying for one or both...

Votes: 67 39.4%

• Total voters

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I presume if i get my FAC stating for club target shooting it will then cost me more money to add hunting to the FAC otherwise it breaks the law if i use it hunting and only have club use on the FAC?.

It will only cost you more money to vary your FAC if you increase the number of firearms and/or ammunition held, if you have a .22 LR rifle for eg. and wish to get a different calibre or even another .22 LR you can vary your FAC on a 'One for one' basis which doesn't cost anything.
If you have Sec.1 firearms on your FAC for target purposes only, you are immediately breaking the law if you use it for anything else.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Can you shoot pigeon and rabbit with a shotgun and still have enough usable meat and is it as clean a kill at a single shot to the head since I presume being closer range than a rimfire they wouldn’t be much pigeon or rabbit left and you could end up just maiming if you missed slightly?

Actually shooting birds on the wing or small game such as rabbits or squirrels on the run is where shotguns really excel. Shooting birds (doves, pigeons, quail, grouse, turkey, or waterfowl) on the ground or on the roost is considerred unsporting if not outright illegal here.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I am pretty sure that shotguns have been used for hell of a long time to pop a rabbit for the pot,

Exactly. Usually if a person is limited for whatever reason to only one gun for civilian use, a shotgun is the best choice. Not always, but usually.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
having a dodgy shoulder not sure it's the best plan.

Don't be guided by movies!

My .410 shotgun is so light recoiling that it can be fired one handed (not that I suggest this). It muzzle flips far less than an airgun.

Sure a 12 bore with a heavy load recoils - but not that badly.

People who describe shotguns "breaking shoulders" are Walts who have never fired one. Even a small bruise indicates a bad "mount" to the gun. I (with a very dodgy shoulder and spine) can shoot 500 rounds in a day without problem

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
People who describe shotguns "breaking shoulders" are Walts who have never fired one.

There are a few things which, fired incorrectly, will give you a bit of a sting... spot the guy who's shot one before!

[video=youtube;7FCY3_5Bg1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FCY3_5Bg1M[/video]

I really want to hear the narrator in the next clip say: "They're GRRRRRRRREAT!"

[video=youtube;e4L6Zpg9klw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4L6Zpg9klw[/video]

Enjoy!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
HArdly 12 bores though are they :)

If you will shoot a monster calibre, in a lightweight rifle, in an enclosed space, without a supressor or muzzle break.......

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It isn't bad at all Sanataman - of course it was originally a black powder calibre so the the case is larger than it might be if designed nowadays. Its certainly a stout round, but helt properly, and shot well, there is no reason to be afraid of such a round - my wife has shot it without complaint

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
HArdly 12 bores though are they :)

Indeed not... the only time I got a proper thump from a shotgun was the first time I fired one. It was an older side by side 12 bore, a bit too big for me and I pulled the front trigger first while holding the rear trigger. Naturally both going off at once, with a less than perfect hold on the gun left me with a face like a smacked bottom for the next hour and a bit of an ache in my shoulder - break your shoulder though? Only if you have osteoporosis!

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
About the only thing I've seen people complain much as far as recoil is some of the stiffer 3.5" 12 gauge loads, but most people just shoot 2-3/4" loads and most shotguns still only have 3" chambers. You can go into Walmart and get 100 round bulk pack of 2-3/4" 12 gauge shells for $30.

A good example on how recoil is manageable when people are properly taught to shoot is how well the kids in the local 4H shooting program handle the recoil. During the year, a handful of us who are firearms instructors and also certified by 4H to teach their shooting sports courses, will teach gun handling and marksmanship to kids 10 years old and up. The courses and the ammo are free for the kids, subsidized by the local state government. We also get regular grants from the NRA (National Rifle Association) to buy new equipment, and we also work with the Federal government's Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). The program runs every year during the late summer, fall, winter, and spring when the current public school year is in session. It just costs the kids a $20 general membership per year to join 4H. The cops let us use their shooting range, which is good because it's got big lights, like at a sports field, so we can shoot at night. During harsh weather, a local gun shop donates the use of their indoor range. For shotguns, we go to a nearby farm and bring automatic clay throwing machines. We also teach hunter safety courses, which is required for underage hunters to hunt. For general shooting skills, we start the kids off on .22LR Anschutz bolt actions and work them up from there. Bow hunting is very popular in this region of the country so we also have an archery program which doesn't cost the kids anything extra to participate in, and I'm one of the archery instructors.

During shotgun training, it's usually the 10 to 12 year olds who use the .410 shotguns while everyone else uses the 20 and 12 gauge shotguns. For centerfire rifle training, the girls and younger boys tend to like the 5.56mm and 7.62x39mm semi-autos due to the lighter recoil while the older boys don't mind the larger calibers. Most of the older girls don't mind the .30-30 lever action for the recoil. All of the kids handle the .50 caliber muzzleloading caplock rifles and the .44 cap and ball revolvers just fine. For handguns, most of the kids can handle all of the semi auto calibers pretty good also, like 9mm and .40 S&W.

Last edited:

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Interesting overview there MrRostov! Thanks! Great to see some proper training for young shooters. Training is the key, building the routine memory to fire the shot. Most hunters I know don't even "remember" pulling the trigger or the recoil, the focus is on the game. Although unlike British Red, I have never fired 500 shotgun rounds in a day. I don't get any benefit from shooting more than 5 rounds of skeet a day (125 cartridges), normally 3 is more than adequate, and a days hunting never needs more than 10.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Friend of mine is making the barrels for a matching pair of 8 (!) bores. Bet they have a kick!

They released a western in 2008 called 'Appaloosa' where one of the two lawmen/gunslingers carries a double barrel 8 gauge during the film as his preferred weapon. It was kind of a neat movie.

The 8 gauge in the USA started falling from favor as the 19th Century came to a close, then it's death knell came as it was banned from hunting migratory birds in the early 20th Century. Over here, probably the most regulated game animal are migratory birds. The Feds have been involved in that since the early 20th Century when the massively over hunted passenger pigeon population crashed and they were unable to save it from extinction. Only a few decades earlier, enormous flocks of them literally darkened the skies.

They are still legal to own, but since you can't hunt many of the most popular species of game birds with them, there is no market for them. Some people use replica muzzleloading 8 gauge shotguns, but the only commercially made breach loading 8 gauge built here anymore is an industrial 'kiln' gun made by Remington. It fires an 8 gauge zinc slug to blast scale off of the insides of industrial applications, such rotary kilns. Remington calls it the MasterBlaster. The barrel looks so big because it has a really big muffler on it. This gun allows them to blast the scale off of the insides of a huge kiln without having to wait for it to cool down.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/industrial/masterblaster-system.aspx
masterblaster.ashx

Last edited:

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
To continue the kiln shooting story, there is a Greener GP shotgun with a long (12'+) bendable brass barrel with a funnel like device on the end. The funnel was filled with refractory cement and placed over cracks in kiln walls. The gun was fired using a special black powder blank and the cement blasted into the crack to repair it to continue to protect the metal wall of the kiln.

Again, it was used whilst the kiln was hot to reduce downtime.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They released a western in 2008 called 'Appaloosa' where one of the two lawmen/gunslingers carries a double barrel 8 gauge during the film as his preferred weapon. It was kind of a neat movie.

The 8 gauge in the USA started falling from favor as the 19th Century came to a close, then it's death knell came as it was banned from hunting migratory birds in the early 20th Century. Over here, probably the most regulated game animal are migratory birds. The Feds have been involved in that since the early 20th Century when the massively over hunted passenger pigeon population crashed and they were unable to save it from extinction. Only a few decades earlier, enormous flocks of them literally darkened the skies.

They are still legal to own, but since you can't hunt many of the most popular species of game birds with them, there is no market for them....

For that matter, commercial market hunting as such with ANY gun is illegal now. Although recreational hunters can still sell the furs and other bits (squirrel tails, bird feathers, etc.) on to commercial users.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE