Shipping hell!!!!!!! Help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Why don't you just use plastic drainage pipe for a tube?

Most pipes are too narrow for this bud, It has a bunch of reflex and very easy on the eye statics.
Hope the new owner doesnt mind me posting these, she is a looker if I dont mind saying so me sen.

20140724_203521_zpsushsckfp.jpg

20140724_203456_zpsvudbdggp.jpg

20140723_195045_zpsturph7ew.jpg

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
I looked on here http://www.interparcel.com/ and it quoted, using rough dimensions and weight, about £12 for next
day using TNT. The others that said Interparcel it says are delivered by UPS and they've always been good when we
get deliveries from them at work, it was a couple of quid dearer though.

And I don't mind you showing it off in the slightest. ;)

Last edited:

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
i used ups to send my PA bowtrade bow, it was £27 but it was a takedown. i used a 4" drainage pipe and wrapped the bow well. i had no issues, it got there fine.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Cant you get a local Archery shop to send it via there couriers.
I know a few other who do it that way.

Might be worth an ask. Although my local decent shop is fare way away.

We sent a bow by royal mail. Warned the recipent it was in a drain pipe and it wasnt a pipe bomb. Told the mail clark it was sport equipment and paid for tracking.

I cant fault dpd couriers.

dpd would not insure the bow unfortunately. Sent at my own risk.

Could you get it to the Bushmoot and have one of the visiting Scots take it part way to its destination....

Just a suggestion

Ogri the trog

No one going out that way that I know of but would have been handy.

I looked on here http://www.interparcel.com/ and it quoted, using rough dimensions and weight, about £12 for next
day using TNT. The others that said Interparcel it says are delivered by UPS and they've always been good when we
get deliveries from them at work, it was a couple of quid dearer though.

And I don't mind you showing it off in the slightest. ;)

Will try them again mate but pretty sure they were another no- insurance unless you had an account. Either that or over max length. They are all blurring into one now lol

i used ups to send my PA bowtrade bow, it was £27 but it was a takedown. i used a 4" drainage pipe and wrapped the bow well. i had no issues, it got there fine.

Half the issue is the length mate. To be honest I am going to go crawling back to RM at this rate. Have to visit a local carpet shop today to see of they do a tube the correct width, if not I am going to modify the ends of one I have.

Thanks for all the help yall.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
The one I linked to was £50 standard insurance but could be increase to £1000. I guessed at 180x20x20cm as the size of package and it was fine with that but I
don't know the actual dimensions. It looked like they are set up for 1 off use so don't think you need an account but I could be wrong.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi Dwardo, as an aside to the actual shipping, if you want to protect the bow within its hard shipping cover, you do very much worse that a foam pipe insulation sleeve from a plumbing supplies place. They are very light, you can get them with varying internal diameters, and they are quite cheap in comparison to the bow, 3 or 4 quid each. I always use them for transporting our bows in the car to shoots etc.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks for the input all.

Finally found a way to package it so its pretty transport safe. Wasnt easy but being paranoid about these things I made sure to go over the top.

Good job its staying in the UK and not going to anywhere with troubles as it looks a bit errr anti-tank

20140727_133229_zpspwj0hpaz.jpg

Just needs a guidance unit and some cross-hairs on the top.:eek:

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I had a similar issue a year or so ago shipping a bow to someone in the UK. I looked on the US Postal Service website and the shipping restrictions were a little confusing, but it seemed like the bow was within the limits. So, after getting it all boxed up, I went to the nearest post office only to be told it was larger than the allowed shipping dimensions. I called UPS, and that was quickly ruled out when they quoted over $300, if I recall correctly. I eventually ended calling a different post office in another town and explained the problem. Within 5 minutes, the lady at this post office determined I was well within the dimensions and gave a much more reasonable rate of around $70, and I got it shipped that day. I guess a lot depends on who you're dealing with, and how knowledgeable they are or willingness to help. Glad you sorted it out, I know it can be a very frustrating experience.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Dwardo, If it's any help mate get a fishing rod tub they are sheep as hell and protect things far more fragile than bows.

Also If your intrested I might be setting up a DHL account and from what I understand you can set up account delegates with there own billing an collection addresses etc (think AD users an groups mate) PM me an we will discuss some options.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Dwardo, If it's any help mate get a fishing rod tub they are sheep as hell and protect things far more fragile than bows.

Also If your intrested I might be setting up a DHL account and from what I understand you can set up account delegates with there own billing an collection addresses etc (think AD users an groups mate) PM me an we will discuss some options.

Think AD users and groups, brilliant lol.

Beware though most of the companies I spoke to want you to be shipping 30 parcels a month.

That might be handy in future mate. Pretty much all the bows I have send recently fitted nicely into a fishing rod tube, plastic cap-black tube kind and they are perfect.
Unfortunately this bow has about 3 inches of reflex plus the depth of the handle which makes it about 4+ inches wide.
The fishing shops were very helpful and have offered to keep the stiff cardboard shipping tubes to one side for me, the kind they get several rods delivered in. Although they are a little heavier than the plastic ones they are generally wider, and free save a few cans of beer for the owner of the shop.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Have you contacted any carpet shops for the cardboard tubes the carpets ship on?

On my way back from the fishing shop :) They are all huge unfortunately mate. Could probably fit me self in one! Not to mention incredibly heavy.
Great minds,.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE