Shemagh or Buff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've been considering a buff to keep bugs out of my mouth and nose when cycling, but I've just spotted this thread and thought a shemagh may do instead. Does anyone else use a shemagh in that way?

No but I do use a buff in that way. The problem with breathing through material is that it rapidly becomes wet. When wet it is cold and harder to breathe through. The thin polyester microfibre of the buff doesn't hold water, is easy to breathe through and dries quickly. Also not too hot in summer.

A proper mask is better, but for me with my limited amount of cycling it is overkill and bulky.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I have both - I prefer the shemagh for most things. but they have different uses for me - the buff is good to keep the wind out of my face.

Andy

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I've been considering a buff to keep bugs out of my mouth and nose when cycling, but I've just spotted this thread and thought a shemagh may do instead. Does anyone else use a shemagh in that way?

I have in the past, but it tends to make you overheat when cycling.

As i wear specs a shop bought filter mask caused them to steam up even in winter. A better solution I found was a hankie or bandana shaped into a triangle and worn across the nose and mouth in the style of cowboys robbing a train.

Anything you breath through will get drenched though.

thatch

Feb 17, 2007
Norway
I have used shemags for years, but this winter I decided to try a buff. Bought a merinowool buff. Tried to use it mainly as a "scarf", and to cover mouth/face in cold weather. I must say though, for that use I was really disappointed by the buff. It's so thin, so when you use it to cover your mouth the section infront of your face gets soaking wet from the moisture in your breath. That is uncomfortable when it's cold. If you try to turn it around to get dry fabric infront, the wet part will freeze to ice, making it stiff and uncomfortable. So at least for my use, the buff was not a very good product. I quickly went back to my shemags. I really love them. Got used to wearing them when I was in the military, after that I became addicted. Use them all year round.

Last edited:

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I am hearing a lot of crap here right now I think.
WATER is our most important need in a bush situation and you guys are still breathing so heavily through your mouth when you know damn well you should breath through the nose.
ANY fabric is going to get wet breathing all over it, thats not the fault of the fabric it's yours.

This is like watching someone peeling potatoes or something towards themselves, and warning them that they will get cut.
When they get cut they expect sympathy for it...
Sorry if this sounds harsh but I laugh at people like this.

Last edited:

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
When I use something it's a shemag. I can pick hot things like a pan with him, I can protect my head or neck and even make an improvised bandage if needed.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I have used shemags for years, but this winter I decided to try a buff. Bought a merinowool buff. Tried to use it mainly as a "scarf", and to cover mouth/face in cold weather. I must say though, for that use I was really disappointed by the buff. It's so thin, so when you use it to cover your mouth the section infront of your face gets soaking wet from the moisture in your breath. That is uncomfortable when it's cold. If you try to turn it around to get dry fabric infront, the wet part will freeze to ice, making it stiff and uncomfortable. So at least for my use, the buff was not a very good product. I quickly went back to my shemags. I really love them. Got used to wearing them when I was in the military, after that I became addicted. Use them all year round.

A Buff to keep you warm in the Norwegian winter? I'm not surprised you weren't very warm, they aren't really designed for sub-zero temperatures. Also wool tends to hold moisture, a synthetic fibre would probably work better for breathing through.

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
Here in Italy the shemag is often associated with extreme left-wing political ideas so you can have troubles if you meet someone from the extreme opposite side... Sad but true.. Two times sad because it's really a versatile and useful piece of kit.
I have a black Tagelmust that I wear every time of the year.
Perfect to use around the neck when riding my bike...

Apr 3, 2006
Otley
Bought a merinowool buff. Tried to use it mainly as a "scarf", and to cover mouth/face in cold weather. I must say though, for that use I was really disappointed by the buff. It's so thin, so when you use it to cover your mouth the section infront of your face gets soaking wet from the moisture in your breath.

As an update to this thread - ChocFish have got a heavier weight buff - they call it a Tuara - that definitely fits the bill. I found them through this guy

beaver1970

I am hearing a lot of crap here right now I think.
WATER is our most important need in a bush situation and you guys are still breathing so heavily through your mouth when you know damn well you should breath through the nose.
ANY fabric is going to get wet breathing all over it, thats not the fault of the fabric it's yours.

This is like watching someone peeling potatoes or something towards themselves, and warning them that they will get cut.
When they get cut they expect sympathy for it...
Sorry if this sounds harsh but I laugh at people like this.

Well said. It has become all too common for people involved in bushcraft to blame their kit. As the saying goes a bad trades man always blames his tools.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
What's a buff?

One of these - http://buffusa.com/ - basically the old 'headover' reborn. Incredibly useful, and has reached to point where a 'buff' is how you describe pretty much anything similar. Not the cheapest, and there are lot of similar ones out there, but having used a cheap one and a Buff (bought on sale), the Buff is stretchier, and has a tighter weave, so warmer and more wind resistant. However, the cheaper supermarket fleece lined one has been great value, so its whatever works.

Bandana's, shermaghs, etc are all pretty much a bit of cloth that you put around your neck, over the face, around the head, etc. The only thing I find with a shermagh is that they are sometimes a bit bulky for around the neck, and cotton can be a bit chilly.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
In the old days, the PLO fans in Sweden wore checkered shemags or whatever they are called.

A knitted cap is just pefect for me. If needed, with a woolen scarf.

Sometimes it is nice when somebody revives a petrified thread!

Here on island some guys wear doorags.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I usually have a shemagh in a day pack for when I inevitably turn into a puddle of sweat. (usually carry a few large cotton handkerchiefs in my pockets to be more discreet).
Never really knew what buffs were till I googled - they seem way too fashioable for me.
However I am really interested in using one as a wrist/sweatband that could double in a pinch as a sleep snood.
Could someone with more buff experience point me in the right direction.
Also I'm guessing that merino is for winter use rather than summer - what material would be better for wicking and cooling in summer?
where is best to buy? reputable make? are there big ones for big lumps like me?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE