Shemagh Mods.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I like my Shemaghs , I have a few - I find them a useful bit of kit for travel and general street wear as well as having an ability to be pressed into multi-function service.

Just casting for ideas on how one could Modify/Install a few extras on a Shemagh to make it a even more useful bit of kit. Obviously its just a big bit of cloth but I have an idea for a few mods that would improve to it , just wondering if anyone can suggest anything else.

Bit of Brain storming.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
The simple square of material is just so versatile and has so many uses I tend to think adding to it in someway may well spoil or make it awkward for an existing use. One thing I do find extremely useful though to work 'alongside' the Shemagh is a home made woggle.

D.B.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If your sewing's sound…..in one corner, about four inches in from the point, cut a four inch slit pointing straight towards the centre. Roll the cut edges and stitch them down neatly and securely so they will not fray. Buttonhole stitches at both ends help.

This bound slit gives you a 'lock' for pulling any of the other ends through. It lets you wrap and tuck and the ends won't come undone.

It can be done nearer to the centre to hold like DB's woggle but without the need for anything but the shemagh.

If you don't want to cut the shemagh, or trust your stitching, you could just sew on a strip of fabric tape to create a thread through bit.

M

Reactions: Madriverrob

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That's a neat idea Mary, very KISS but I can really see the advantages of it
thumbs_up_smiley.gif

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've thought about possibly sewing in a drawcord pull purse line around the outside of the material to be able to make an impromptu carry bag ( when caught short at Tesco ) or stitching two shemaghs together ( on 3 fronts ) to make a gigantic carry bag.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sewing buttonhole loops, one on each corner and one in the middle of each side works just as neatly and doesn't need the cord. You can just slip a mini carabiner through all of the loops to create a 'bag'.

This lady shows the loops clearly. Start with a double thread with both ends threaded through the eye, and the folded end loop as the tail, and pull the needle back through that loop to fasten the thread to the fabric; no knot necessary :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk5sFnSAsYk

M

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just purchased a few Shemaghs to modify.

Just giving a link as these seem inexpensive compared to what else I've seen

Reactions: JFW

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Which ones did you go for TeeDee and what's the quality like?

Good question and one that crossed my mind at the time of looking around them.

I got home today from work and they have arrived. Quality is just Ok.
I have other shemaghs which are ( I would say ) high quality but I paid a decent price for them.

So my thinking was , even if I buy these for £4 each and they are pants BECAUSE i'm intentionally going to be doubling up the fabric and modifying them - its not the end of the world.
I want to mod one , have a proof of concept sort of trial run then I will consider buying some high quality ones.

These for £4 a pop you can see through if you hold it up to the light and are your generic cheapish/ok Shemaghs.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I've looked at these in the past but not bought one yet so not sure of quality, but are aimed at the proper market. They are a good size and price and lots of choice.
No connection to this company.
Your other alternatives are the British army issue shemaghs which are really good quality and thick.
Cheers Jfw

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have a Shemagh at home doing nothing , might try a few of these mods and hopefully use it a bit more , would be a good impromptu carry option for on holiday /camp etc :thumbsup:

I'm also about to implement some of the Mods so would be good to see your efforts and mine side by side for inspiration so please share your results and thoughts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE