Shelter when sleeping

May 10, 2012
Cornwall
Hello, im new here :)

Im going on a bit of an expedition around wales this weekend and had weighed up options of what to sleep in or under.

in the past have often used hammocks but rain kind of dictates weather they are suitable, i dont want to use a tent as the idea is to be in the outdoors!

how suitable will it be just to sleep in a sleeping bag inside a bivvy bag? probably on a camp bed?

what do you "normal" people do for shelter? lol.

any help would be much appreciated.

Ralph

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Depends on time of year, type of sleeping bag, etc etc.

You can get hammocks that have rain covers - then rain is no barrier.

I've used synthetic sleeping bags in non-hooped bivvi bags quite a bit. The combination is great for 'stealth' camping (camping anywhere, not on proper site). If the rain is bad, it's not a great night - you end up zipping the bivvi shut completely. Any condensation or rain leaks pool underneath your sleeping bag.

You can go the 'tarp' route. Not done that myself.

I'd not be over happy camping in damp conditions with a down bag unless in a hooped bivvi or a tent. Too much likelyhood of moisture soaking the bag.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hammocks are fine in the rain, here is one of my two Best Buds Stu( I LOVE YOU MAN!) getting his sorry bottom into his(with down under quilt) he uses a 3m x 3m dd tarp for cover,

541086_10150852477274073_539479072_11972295_522236467_n.jpg

but this is how I Live\sleep no matter the weather(when there is a tree or walking pole available)

393183_10150455267679073_539479072_10519943_990579099_n.jpg

Though if walking on hills for multiple days a light weight tent or HOOPED bivi is my choice as having a pace to get dry, fed and admin my body out of the elements is best, :D

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Most folk use a tarp.

Various manufacturers and various sizes are available.
  • DD are popular and at the cheaper end of the market.
  • Tatonka are well regarded and well made.
Have a look here for a few ideas...

HTH,

Simon

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Some nice tarps from USA. Cuben fibre down to sil-nylon. All shld weight less than5-600g and some a lot less. You can quite easily get away with a bivvy and a 125g micro tarp!!!

forestwalker

Summary:

Hammock: dry in the rain if there is a good roof (a 3x3 tarp on the diagonal is about right), you can ignore any minor rivers on the ground (unless your pack floats away...). A consistent sleep experience: no bumps, slopes, etc

Tarp and ground sleeping: Space, you can eat breakfast in your sleeping bag (just wear a sweather or wool shirt, have your pack handy as a back-rest), good for doing crafts under. Not good if the ground is very wet, even a groundsheet will fail to protect you if there is running water. Separate midge net?

Tent: protection, your own private haven away from wind, rain and midges. But you can't see the world, which is a bad point. A good tent will allow you to sleep safe and sound in all but the worst storms.

Primitive shelters: Takes more time and skill, may or may not offer as good protection (in particular midges are hard to exclude). More work to leave not trace. But has the ultimate in "feel", and less kit to carry.

May 10, 2012
Cornwall
Thanks for the great info, well ended up just staying in a tent on a camp site which is boring but wasnt just up to me!

just having a tarp would seem like a plan, i rather be out in the open than stuck in a tent!

something to bear in mind before next time.

Ralph

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE