Sheath Design question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
British Red said:
Thoughts anyone??

Red

Hi Red,
Looks pretty good to me, the only extra I would suggest is the addition of thin leather loops as in the Swiss Army Survival Pouch - you can just see one of them in the attached image, holding a Solitaire Maglite....
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...q=victorinox+survival&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=N
The other side loop holds a mini sharpening stone but I suppose I'm suggesting maximising the volume of the pouch for tinder finds without the need for a bigger pouch overall.

ATB

Ogri the trog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ogri,

Good call - although a small internal loop for a mini mag / AAA Arc might be doable too....hmmm

Cheers - Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looking like this pouch may be too complicated to manufacture at an acceptable price...continue with the head scratch then....

Red

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
What about a single long slip case to take the stone with a sam brown stud closure. On the front of that a single pocket sub divided into two to take the firesteel and a mini mag with a second flap closure and sam brown stud.
Dave.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Red,
I'm starting to understand about manufacturing costs, so simple sounds to be the way to go. There are a number of small pouch makers around the Bushy scene from Woodlore to USMCPRO.com with prices from a few pounds to silly money, if folk just want "something" to use.
But there will be a certain appeal for a matched set of sheath and companion pouch with each enhancing the other, especially if it incorporates some type of sharpening jig or speciallised gear.
At every turn though the price escalates if folk want things like double danglers, silent opening and internal dividers.
I suppose the final call will be Sal's if he thinks that enough of us will part with our "hard earned" to make up for the set-up costs, though a simple pouch from your sketch a few posts back shouldn't be too hard to produce.

Ogri the trog

Tiffers

Mar 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Simple pouches are not hard to produce, its when you start making compartments that it becomes fiddly. If its stitched then you have an awkward and time consuming angled stitch from the front of the sheath, though into the divider. If you have 2 dividers than thats 4 difficult angled seams.

As with everything, time taken is a big part of the cost.

Can anyone tell me if the woodlore sheath is hand stitched or machine stitched please? :) Its something I have wanted to know for a while.

Tiffers

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Sorry Tiffers,
It was not intentional to leave your name off my last few posts. British Red has been busy with the threads here, I assumed you were busy with the threads in your workshop :eek:

I'm sure that the resulting work will be as stunning as ever.

ATB

Ogri the trog

PS, the RM Woodlore site advertises their leather sheaths as being "Hand stitched".

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ogri,

I see this thread as kind of a "concept car" stage. Sure some of our ideas won't make it into production, but garnering up the little nuggets of info is incredibly helpful so keep 'em coming! Stuff that we already understand is some of the "design tensions" including

1. People like "clean lines" but also like to keep their "knife related" items together
2. People want their firesteel out of the elements but easily available
3. People want a sharpening stone but nothing "bulky" to keep it in
4. People want the sheath to be able to be high & low,belt and neck worn etc. etc.

If you read some of the e-mails I send to Tiffers you would crack up laughing, but thats okay! I reckon this new sheath should address the problems people have with existing designs. Of course the first rule of problem solving is "define the problem". In reality there are probably many ways to solve the same issue (e.g. my sheath fouls on the hip belt of my Bergan. Solution is a neck carry or a dangler etc.). I'm not daft enough to think we will entirely change what has worked for thousands of years, but if with a little imagination we can address some of those niggles we all experience, so much the better! Trust me, Tiffers will weed out our more outrageous ideas (given she is the brains and knows how hard things are to actually make - although I thought the helium pocket in the sheath to make it lighter was a fine idea :D )

Red

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I know its a comprimise on the handmade quality to a degree but could you not make your box shaped pouch by wet forming then create the divisions inside with an injection moulded insert to reduce costs? A base board to fit inside with moulded slots to take dividers so the inner divisions were ajustable to the users needs?
Dave.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its certainly a thought Dave....I might be tempted to go with plastic slots on the front and back of the sheath into which you could slot dividers (like those plastic screw boxes with adjustable dividers). Good thought. Guess the primary focus needs to be the sheath now we have a design to work to and we can have fun working up the way of carrying stone, firesteel etc.

For me I like the option of removable loops and stone pouch on the knife sheath...at the end of the day its a sheath first and foremost. Given they are removable, it may be possible to attach them to another carrier to make a belt pouch (keeping number of parts to a minimum) - sort of Lego felxibility!

Red

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Why is there a hole in the sample knife blade? is that part of the design? or needed for that testing? Or is it to take a locking stud on a kydex sheath?
Dave.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nemisis said:
Why is there a hole in the sample knife blade? Dave.
Nemesis,
I'm guessing its just part of the Spyderco trademark thing. Most of the range are folders with the assisted opening hole - I guess that this is just a follow on from that. Though the ability to make use of the hole I'm sure has not been ignored by Sal.

Red,
As Sal has said in the Perfect Bush Knife thread, he doesn't know what sort of sharpener to end up with until the grind has been decided. I'm hoping there will be something small, dedicated and whizzy that he'll offer that might counter the ideas of a "stone" as we currently know it.
I also like the options of removable loops on the pouch but can't say the same for the stone pocket on the sheath. To me, its a knife first and foremost - the sheath is a means of carrying it in a safe manner. You use the knife for cutting tasks but when its gets to a point that it needs to be sharpened or honed, then you reach for the stone which, I believe, is kept seperate from the knife, kind of second line equipment as opposed to front line, primary use kit.

Ramling now - must stop. ;)

Ogri the trog

Hey hey 1000th post :eek:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wouldn't you love that hole to be 11mm so you could put a firesteel through it to cast a spark? Dont know if that would weaken the balde though (?)

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
This has all got a bit complicated for me and I dont want to be laying awake at night trying to think of new sheath and pouch designs any more. I have seen the therapist and I am happy.

The dc3 whetstone lives with my toilet roll. This means that when I sit down I have some background activity!

Tiffers

Mar 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A plastic insert was one thought that passed through my mind for the pouch too as it would be quite easy to just create a box for that to go into.

I've been busy in my workshop today though and come up with something which is obviously in the prototype stage but its a start.

I want Sal and Red to see it first so its off for their comments. Then I shall let you all see it too.

I am very interested to see what sharpening system they come up with as thats going to define the overall finished shape of the sheath. Without any pouches its still going to have a nice simple look but there is then the option of a buckle on pouch. The buckles are on the pouch though so it doesnt look odd when you are not using it. You can also then buckle the pouch elsewhere if you like :)

As I said though, pictures have gone off to Red and Sal :)

Tiffers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE