Sheath Design question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiffers

Mar 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Sal, I dropped you an email to the address on your BB account but I've got an automated email back from Olive saying she is away.

:)

Tiffers

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I'm coming in late on this one I know. Personally I prefer to carry my DMT sharpeners seperate from my knives. I normally don't worry about strops "in the field" but will usually have a DMT with me for touching up an edge when required.

One way to carry the sharpener with the knife is to make the sharpener a seperate "mini-sheath" within the main item. I don't mean a pouch on the front that can snag on things and generally make the sheath look untidy. What I am on about can be seen on the threead about the sheaths I made some time ago. On the sheath for the big bowie there was room in the layers for a seperate inner sheath for a DMT mini hone with a cut-down handle.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=9015

Tiffers

Mar 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Nice work LS :) I like the way the dmt is slotted into the sheath. Very neatly done :)

I dont think thats going to work with this knife as there are no real layers like there are on yours. We are also yet to find out what the sharpening stone is going to be like :D

Tiffers

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Longstrider,
Thats a good looking item there buddy. But as Tiffers says, we don't know what tricks Sal has up his sleeve. But if you don't mind me copying your idea at some point in the future, its a neat solution to an age old problem.

Nice one

Ogri the trog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
British Red said:
Well it looks like we may go after a couple of designs - an accessory pouch and a customisable sheath.

Heres a working sketch for an accessory pouch - it'll take a firesteel, stone and has another generous section for a small torch / SAK etc.). In a production model, I'd think or mahing the partions movable / removable but I expect to have em fixed in the prototype

This time I'd like to go after a box shaped pouch. I'd like the internal dividers to be shallower than the pouch so that a bit of each item protrudes and you can get hold of it.

I'd like to go for two double dangler (removable top) loops like the knife sheath ones (the pouch will match the sheath of course). There wil be a secure flap to go over the pouch as in the one above with the firesteel on. I do like the diea of making the loops useful in their own right and am thinking of seeing if we could make them so they can become key clips etc. when off the pouch

newpouch1wq.jpg

Red

Nemisis said:
Have you seen a leather Zippo case thats what I was thinking of a scaled up version of that with the divider insert.
Dave.

Well,

I bet you thought this thread had disappeared - but no!

Tiffers is strutting her funky sheath stuff, but I was very interested in playing around with the entire accessory pouch ideas we kicked about. So, enlisting the aid of the admirable singtek...we have a "concept pouch". It is literally "hot off the needle" so I have only the photos so far (I'll publish pictures of it in use when posty delivers), however in the mean time as you guys are on the design committee - I thought you might like to see "prototype 1" :)

178606426_c45b480177.jpg

178606270_cd69f1d6c5.jpg

178606094_15d00478f1.jpg

178605860_c2f007ba15.jpg

178605631_4f60a263fd.jpg

178605367_017a48bac8.jpg

What do you think guys?

Red

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Fan-bloomin-tastic guys,
It looks quite robust with a simple closure, the "double danglers" are great - are they really in brass, or is it the wooden background reflecting off chrome (brass I hope), and the fitting means that it can be removed frin the hangers on your belt. That divider idea is just the best - there when you want it and gone when you don't.

Put me down for the next one.

Ogri the trog

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
My thoughts on this, dangler sheath, great, except I would LOVE a way of buckling the loop on and off the belt on the fly, without having to take my belt off. The dangler sheath does allow for both firm, high and swinging low carry, which is great - best design by miles IMO, but the main PITA with all knives, it's putting em on and off yer belt. All the dangler sheath's I've seen so far have been missed opportunities. The design lends itself to some kind of clasp or buckle which would even make the drop adjustable. I think some scandi sheaths are attached just with thongs (BFK is an example of this idea), why not make the loop a buckled loop?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Martyn,

Thanks dor the input! I can't say too much without revealing what Tiffers is working on on the sheath design, but, suffice it to say that Tiffers has solved that particular problem rather neatly

Ogri - brass man, of course its brass ;) :)!

I'm not sure this will ever become a "production item" - I think Tiffers design is nearer to that, but, in the meantime, I should drop a note to Singtek! I came across his work when buying a possibles pouch for BB. His work is first rate, fast and very very reasonable! He made this for me based on the design we worked out together (with a few variations to make it actually do-able). I'm sure he could do another or adapt to your particular requirements

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well,

I got the pouch today - I can only say its exactly what I wanted - the removeable divider works a treat. The pouch is only slightly larger than a packet of cigarettes so I can wear it with my bits and bobs on a pair of jeans or even to work.

It fits exactly as I wanted it to. Here it is in "config 1" - day walks and general mooching - SAK, firesteel and DC4 stone

singtek16hx.jpg

Here in Bushcraft support mode - firesteel, DC4 and tinder keep

singtek28gt.jpg

Here with my Bush knife in dangler mode

singtek31rw.jpg

You can see how it hangs well clear of my bergan belt. I'd normally wear it on the other side, but this gives an idea of how it hangs

Anyway - thanks for all the input on the design - this one works for me and Singteks work is superb!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Martyn,

Nope, no noise at all, it hangs very comfortably below the belt. I'd generally put one clip each side of a belt loop for stability but other than that its great jsut as shown. It looks a "long drop" on the photo, but actually it hangs about the level of a hip pocket - just right for "too hand" length. I'm really getting to be a fan of this length of carry - it moves aside when sitting, stay clear of hip belts etc.

Red

Red

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
WOW some-how i missed this thread and just spent an age reading it. Now all i can think of is ideas of how i can make myself my perfeck bushcraft set up!

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Martyn said:
My thoughts on this, dangler sheath, great, except I would LOVE a way of buckling the loop on and off the belt on the fly, without having to take my belt off. The dangler sheath does allow for both firm, high and swinging low carry, which is great - best design by miles IMO, but the main PITA with all knives, it's putting em on and off yer belt. All the dangler sheath's I've seen so far have been missed opportunities. The design lends itself to some kind of clasp or buckle which would even make the drop adjustable. I think some scandi sheaths are attached just with thongs (BFK is an example of this idea), why not make the loop a buckled loop?

Something like this???

184991312_6cdebf1789.jpg

185044904_b314a9d805.jpg

185044666_8bbf3fcabc.jpg

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
I’m not sure I would like to trust my knife to the one stud, it seems link more of a weak point than a design advantage to me... I like things to sit securely on my hip close to me I can’t bear the idea of having stuff dangling off of me personally.

With regards to the spyderco sheath, if that’s still what this thread is looking at, a lot of ideas have been put in but I’m not sure what Tiffers has in mind, my personal opinion is that the knife should be supplied with nothing more than a pouch sheath, has anyone thought how these metal buckles studs bells whistles and dangly bits are going to push up costs and everyone’s opinions seem to be different on what is appropriate. I'm sure the simpler option will please the majority, I carry my firesteel in my fire kit and my sharpening kit separate... do we all have the exact same sharpening stones/steels fero rods ect? I'm not a fan of the DC4 stone in my limited experience it removes too much metal to easily I don’t think a production sheath should be designed with specific items like this in mind (other than the knife). As has been mentioned firesteels also change size and come in different sizes to begin with… another reason I don’t like firesteel loops, measures to compensate for this undoubtedly complicate the design.. don't get carried away with add-ons by all means add a removable dangling bit as it doesn’t detract from the traditional belt loop design being detachable it pleases more people but anything more than that, imho, makes the thing to complicated, you start with a stone pouch, that becomes a firesteel/stone pouch the becomes a separate pouch for Stone/lighter/firestee/sak before you know it you may as well have gotten a decent sized possibles pouch or put it in your pack and not bothered with anything more than the good old pouch sheath.

…that’s a bit of an incoherent rabble isn’t it, but call it my 2p worth!

leon-1

tomtom said:
Don't get carried away with add-ons by all means add a removable dangling bit as it doesn’t detract from the traditional belt loop design being detachable it pleases more people but anything more than that, imho, makes the thing to complicated, you start with a stone pouch, that becomes a firesteel/stone pouch the becomes a separate pouch for Stone/lighter/firestee/sak before you know it you may as well have gotten a decent sized possibles pouch or put it in your pack and not bothered with anything more than the good old pouch sheath.

…that’s a bit of an incoherent rabble isn’t it, but call it my 2p worth!

Not incoherent at all, infact I agree, the more people add the more there is to go wrong. By all means add a firesteel loop to the sheath, if people don't like it they can take a sharp knife to it and remove it.

If you want all the rest of the clap trap stick it in a possibles pouch where it belongs

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
leon-1 said:
By all means add a firesteel loop to the sheath, if people don't like it they can take a sharp knife to it and remove it.

If you want all the rest of the clap trap stick it in a possibles pouch where it belongs

I was thinking about bits you could remove if you didnt want them which wouldnt compromise the simple pouch sheath if thats what you were after.. i guess it would be a problem if the edges were treated with anything though..

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Am I alone in saying that I like a knife sheath to contain exactly that....

A knife and nowt else.

I have managed to carry a set of house keys around for years on end with losing them despite working on roofs and having to clamber about a fair bit sometimes....

Where do I store them I hear you ask?

Kegs pocket :)

I quite like the double dangler sheath though as it is pretty much the same as my Martiniii knife sheath that held the knife through my tree climbing days as a child.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
demographic said:
Am I alone in saying that I like a knife sheath to contain exactly that....

A knife and nowt else.

I think I must have been being incoherent because that what I was saying :lmao: anyway I agree with you... there’s a good saying "jack of all trades, master of none" that’s what a sheath should NOT be, it should hold the knife securely primarily and attach its self to yourself some also securely. I will be more than happy if it does just that, nothing more, nothing less!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE