sharpening stone which one

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Can you guys tell me what would be the best sharpening stone for a W/S Woodlore, I was thinking of getting the japans waterstone 1000/6000 combination from Axminster tools what do you all think. I am a complete beginner at sharpening knives.

So any help greatly received.

MAL

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have recently got my hands on one of these sets and can honestly say for the money, you can not go wrong,

Oh and it has just sharpend my shing blade to a hair poping standard!

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
the stone you mentioned will do the same job as the set above, however, the stone will not be as thick!

I have a combinatoin stone that served me fine for several years with no troubles,

I would recomend a nagura stone though, they do a btilliant job of cleaning the stones after use

EDIT:
Infact if it one of these you want, I have the same one and can recomend it!

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I have the Axminster (King) 250/1000 grit stone (I already have another stone, a 4000/8000 for normal use), and while it does the job, it's very narrow (only 2"). If you can get a wider stone it's much easier to use as it's simpler to cover the whole blade in one stroke.

But if you can live with the width (many people can) the 1000/6000 grit combination is a good choice.

Lostdog

Sep 23, 2004
Stirling
Could I suggest that regardless of what sharpening stone/system you opt for (my personal preference is for the Japanese waterstones from Axminster)....you get a nice cheap knife to practice with before you do anything you would regret to your WS Woodlore.

I've got a couple of the Frosts Mora Clippers from www.raymears.com for a tenner each although I daresay there are other, cheaper alternatives. The important thing would be to get one that is the same blade profile as the woodlore (single bevel I think).

It's also probably a good idea to go for cheaper stones to begin with because it is very easy (particularly with waterstones) to put a big gouge in or to dish the stone.

The tutorials on this site are excellent for telling you how to get a shaving sharp blade, but there is no substitute for knuckling down and trying it for yourself, and to that end I recommend cheaper gear to begin with. (The cheaper stones from axminster and the Frost Mora are still excellent quality for their price so it wouldn't be wasted money in my opinion.)

Hope this helps.

*Just read Nemisis' post...sorry for repeating something that has already been said!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE