which sharpner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
forget all of that stuff !

go and get yourself a Spyderco Sharpmaker....the only sharpener that you will ever need that will put hair shaving sharp edges on ALL your knives including all your kitchen knives.

IMO the best sharpener on the market.

What's the biggest blade this would sharpen? Could you do a machete/axe etc?

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Simple, just borrow your pals combi water stone, plenty vids' on youtube to show you how to use it.

deffo going to borrow his stone, think it should do me for a few months till i find something that ill buy myself. i knida want one of everyones sharpner to have a go on lol

I have the spyderco sharpmaker, it is very easy to use and gives a great result on an edge that need sharpening but it is no good on a really blunt or damaged edge, for that I use jap water stones followed by stropping. Those diamond stones on greenman can be found a lot cheaper on ebay.

whats a good strop? value for money wise

Ive had one of these for a couple of years and its still going strong:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1611...&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

They do the initial sharpening well enough and when followed by a stropping with autosol or similar after the fine 600 grit side (big jump some would say), my knives become razor sharp.

that looks quite good, but as much as id like to go buy one right now, i think ill go for the cheap(Free) option for now.

thankyou fro all your help, i will be refering back to this when the time comes to buy something of my own

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
My money is with the Lansky 4 rod turnbox - it has taken the nick out of the end of my knife and brought the edge up like a razor (on the medium rods only at the moment!). Im very happy with my purchase as I could never achieve the same using the DC4

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Is that sticky re £5 sharpening kit still up?
I put one of those together for Junior to take to USA Scout camp with him.Worked a treat.
Once it's sharp go for one of Rob Evans strop sets or a Longstrider set to keep it really sharp.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I odered one yesterday after reading this review. It seems like just the thing for my EDC pouch. It arrived today, i.e. less than 24 hours after ordering. Excellent service like this needs to be noted.
Did you sharpen anything with it? I like mine, always with me.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Did you sharpen anything with it? I like mine, always with me.

I noted what John Fenna said about how it takes off steel, so started on cheap stainless kitchen knives before using on my SAK and Gobal chef's knife. It very quickly re-formed the edges on a couple of old carbon steel cooking knives. I wonder about the Mora and what it will do to the scandi grind. I think I want to get used to it before using on a knife I really care about.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I noted what John Fenna said about how it takes off steel, so started on cheap stainless kitchen knives before using on my SAK and Gobal chef's knife. It very quickly re-formed the edges on a couple of old carbon steel cooking knives. I wonder about the Mora and what it will do to the scandi grind. I think I want to get used to it before using on a knife I really care about.

Cool, just wondered what you thought. My main bit of advice is go gently, light sweeps are much better than a heavy hand. One of the best tenners I've spent I think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE