Opinions on which Bench stone to use with BK-7

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 5, 2013
England
Hi all,

I just got myself a brand new Ka-Bar BK-7, and i must admit that i am a complete novice when it comes to sharpening knives of that size.

http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/3

It's 1095 Cro Van steel and so of course i do not want to ruin the blade.

I have done my research on various knife sharpeners, and the techniques that go along with them, and i have reached the conclusion that the diamond bench stones are the easiest and best to use (please feel to offer other opinions if you disagree ;) )

I have boiled the various bench stones down to two manufacturers, namely DMT :http://www.dmtsharp.com/

and Lansky's :http://lansky.com/

DMT products are much more expensive though :(.

Anyway, that having been said, i'd like to get some feedback on:

1) which product you feel (and possibly know from first hand experience) is the better of the two.

2) what grit combinations should i get (i plan on purchasing the dual sided stone)

3) which one would be more suitable for a beginner.

I read the post on knife sharpening for beginners on the forum, but i don't really want to get into whetstones (again please feel free to intercede here if you so desire).

I realise that a good diamond sharpener may cost a bit, but if i can cut down the costs that would be great.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
You might want to try sandpaper. It's a hell of a lot cheaper and works very well. As for grits, I've seen people get to shaving sharp with 80 grit sandpaper and a good strop.

Dec 5, 2013
England
Firstly, thank you for all your replies-much appreciated.

Secondly, i had looked at the sticky before i posted this thread-whilst it is full of great information and very helpful, it did not address my query.

My question was posed after i decided that diamond benches are the way to go for a beginner-trust me when i say that i have seen many videos and read many articles on knife sharpening over the last few weeks, and imo, i have come to a suitable decision-all i need now is to get feedback on the actual bench stones themselves;)

Nevertheless, my thanks once again for taking the time out to reply.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I own both DMT (duafold) and Lansky (stone not diamond) sharpeners (I also wrote one of those stickies).

Both will get your knife sharp.

The Lansky is much the easiest and cheapest system that requires very little skill on the users part - follow the instructions and take your time. The system maintains the correct angle which is the hardest part. Work up through the grits and you'll be good.

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
I've also got a Bk7, and I was scared to sharpen it in fear of ruining the blade as well. I have since purchased a Lansky sharpening system, I bought a few extra stones (extra fine, super sapphire) and practiced on a few lesser knives 1st and gave it a blast! The 20 degree angle for the Lansky suited the Bk7's original grind down to a tee and now my Bk7 is scary sharp! I 100% recommend it! The secret is to sharpen it in 2 halves to keep the correct angle :)

Here is a pic of mine post Lansky

heguva3a.jpg

Dec 5, 2013
England
@British Red, firstly thanks for your work with the sharpening sticky, great job (btw, i also was reading a thread about powdered eggs and you had found a seller on e bay-is he still around?)

As for the lansky sharpening system, i have done extensive reading on it and it has some major drawbacks (ie non maintenance of the exact sharpening angle on long blades, necessitating on having to sharpen the blade in 2 halves).

@ibeef-yes thats my 'baby', i also had a custom Kydex sheath and firesteel holder made for me in the US-great deal-dont forget to get some blue Loctite for the screws, they have a tendency to work themselves loose with heavy knife usage.

Again chaps-tyvm for you time and feedback-happy holidays to you and your loved ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE