Sharpening stone lubrication question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Hi, if you use a traditional bench stone and use say oil instead of soaking it in water, do you need to continue using that same lubricant or can you use water one time oil the next etc ?

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
From what I know you should stick to one or the other. If you put it in the oven the stone will sweat, or the oil becomes thin and seeps out. Just keep rinsing off. It takes a while. ( and stinks your kitchen out )
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than i, will be along shortly.

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
I use water or a mix of water and a Simple Green non toxic cleaner on all my oil stones .
I boiled my used oil stones in a pot of water to get the oil out , after a couple of water changes not scum appeared and they have worked fine for me YMMV

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Now that makes sense.
I use water or a mix of water and a Simple Green non toxic cleaner on all my oil stones .
I boiled my used oil stones in a pot of water to get the oil out , after a couple of water changes not scum appeared and they have worked fine for me YMMV

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
How do you tell the difference between an oil stone and a water stone? I ask because I picked up a stone unused but unpackaged at a carboot sale.

I started a thread some time ago about getting oil out of a stone and received some helpful replies. You might have a quick search.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE