Sharpening steel modification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Strictly speaking I didn't make this, you could say it was commissioned.

Our story begins while I was at our local market a couple of months ago, I was browsing the Opinel display case and spotted a miniature sharpening steel. Pretty neat, and since it was bright and shiny just had to be bought, twas only €6 (£4.50) I was happy to pay that.

Fast forward a month to when I was in the UK recently. I was staying at my mate's house Paul. He's the one who made those pens I put up as a prize in my recent 1,000 posts competition. Here's Paul's website

Anyway with sharpening steel in hand and a pen blank we'd bought earlier I "supervised" my mate while he turned this up for me.

Rather pleased with the end result and a vast improvement over the original handle that was just begging for a slice of thumb to be sacrficed to the Gods of sharpening things had I used it with any pressure or speed.

Hope you like what you see. Yes I know it's pink, that was the whole idea. Making it findable, if dropped. Hey at least I don't have a pink pillowcase and matching bunny slippers. LOL! (Sorry Badger73 couldn't resist it! :lmao:)

Steel01.jpg

Steel02.jpg

Steel03.jpg

Steel04.jpg

Steel05.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks for the feedback folks. Next job is to make a loop on one of my up and coming sheath projects to take it like a fire steel. Then again I might just make a seperate belt hanger type sheath for it. We'll see.
As nice as it is the steel is a right ripper, so it's good for something like a mahcete, but if you want to touch the edge up on your sheath knife it does tend to make it rather jagged, unless your sheath knife's a bread knife of course.
Got a diamond sharpener sitting in the UK that I got on ebay, so I'm hoping Paul can make something out of that along similar lines to the above.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE