Sharpening my Kukri troubles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi guys, I just got a 12" HI Ang Khola kukri off ebay. I cannot get this thing sharp. I have spent many hours using a file with mousepad and sandpaper attached to it as a strop. I started at 80 and went through to 1000 and cannot get this sharp.

Is there anyone out there that can help me with info on how to get this sharp?

Is there anyone that would like to trade ANYTHING for this, right now I am at my wits ends. I am not a swearing man, but every time I see it, its makes me want to let a big long string of curses out. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

I am sorry for my venting, anyways, help in any form would be great.

Thanks all.

Geoffrey.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Is it that it won't take an edge (bad heat treat) or just the shape?
I have an old blackjack maurader which has a khukri style blade and the curve was always difficult to sharpen. I used a round diamond sharpener made by Buck that was OK but never gave me the edge I wanted. Maybe if you tape/glue some sandpaper to a dowel?

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
not sure really, i know it can be sharp, i got parts of it sharp, just not really equally sharp, I have never sharpened a kukri before and I think that I just lack the skills, or knowledge. It seems to be a good quality, a file won't really bite into it, but its not sharp hard that it wont bite some.

I just think I got more than I bargain for.

No one here that I know is into knives so all I have got is the internet guys, like all of you, that have a love for knives, and the outdoors.

More than anything I am just ****ed off about how much I miss judged this purchase.

Thanks all.

Geoffrey.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
I used a black and decker power file to sharpen one, it was very good and got round all the curves OK. I finished it by burnishing the edge with a piece of harden steel but I think a knife steel would have been better. I think some Kukris can be quite soft but the one I did was made of hard steel. You could also try a dremel with a little grind stone.

D

DOC-CANADA

Geoffrey said:
No one here that I know is into knives so all I have got is the internet guys, like all of you, that have a love for knives, and the outdoors.

Hi Geoffrey;

Where abouts in Canada are you?

:smile: Doc :smile:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Geoffrey, usually in a situation like this, I find that folks just aren't taking the edge down far enough. You should try sharpening one side only, until you raise a birr along the entire length of the edge, on the side opposite the one you are sharpening. You should be able to feel this birr with your fingers and/or see it with a 10x loupe. Once you have the birr, turn the knife over and do the other side in the same way. Once you have done this, then you can think about finer grits and polishing and stropping the edge.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Thanks guys, the problem seems to be that the main bevel is hollow ground, not a flat or convex bevel, I am not sure if I got a lemon or not, are all of these hollow ground?

Thanks.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Yup, just got it yesterday. But I bought it off ebay from the original owner, still new and unused when I got it. He is a HI collector I guess.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Not really sure, I really do not want to take power tools to the knife and destroy all of it's value, I really am not comfortable using power tools on this, if someone had the time and experience I am sure that with some steel removal on the edge bevels this thing would become a great blade.

Really just about givin up, I don't think I could sell this because in my opinion it needs work, so I am really upset by this, I was hoping for a nice easy to care for kukri, but got the shaft I think.

Anyways I don't mean to dump all of my crap on you guys, just not sure what to do with it?

Anyway thanks for your info so far, hope I can get something sorted out with HI, doubt it, but hope so.

Thanks guys,

PS I have got a SWAK and an On Scene Tactical sheath on the way, so there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

If anyone wants a project knife feel free to contact me about this kukri, I cannot in good conscience sell it to anyone that does not know the back ground of it. I removed the sale of this from both British Blades and Outdoor Magazine forum.

Btw I am thinking more about going with a folding saw and a hatchet, I think big knives are a bit too much work for my simple likes.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Geoffrey

I have seen Kukris sharpened like a razor with just a butchers steel. It was a gurka kukri and my friends brother was an officer in the gurkas so the method came from the experts so to speak. I think it would be difficult to sharpen the curve in the blade with the mousepad and sandpaper method.

It sounds like you have already tried everything though.

Let us know what happens in the end.

Bill

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
thanks tenbears10, I have tried a diamond rod and a ceramic rod, the thing is the angle is so steep to just sharpend the edge, its like a 45 degree angle so I dont scratch all of the bevel, not really sure what the deal is.

I guess to a certain extent I am just giving up on trying, I spent 4 or 5 hours on it and I just dont have the physical ability to put much more into it.

Anyways I am more or less hoping to just get rid of it, and take it as a lesson learned, sometimes it is just best to stick with what you know. I know how to sharpen and care for hatchets, axes, and normal straight bladed knives, I guess I will try and stick with those tools.

Anyways thanks for your info tenbears10.

Geoffrey.

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Hi Geoffrey

You could try asking over on the forums at www.toratoratora.co.uk

Tora are a UK based kukri supplier and Simon who runs it is an instructor in using the kukri to the British military, including Ghurkas and a highly experienced user of them.

He is always very helpful on anything kukri related and knows as much about most aspects of then as anyone I know of. You can also find him via www.britishblades.com under the name Sirupate. His partner Kohei is a contributor there as well.

Danzo

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Thanks everyone for your support, info, etc...

I think I have got this thing sorted out.

Thanks again.

Geoffrey.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
I have several ( :roll: ) HI khukuris amongst my happy little family of blades.
The older ones are convex ground. The newer ones have flat bevels (until I get done with them). They do not make hollow-ground khukuris to my knowledge. They are choppers and a hollow-ground blade would be a chancy chopper.

With flat bevels, it is easier to sharpen a really large knife more like one would sharpen an axe. Put in a vise (or between knees [CAREFULLY!]) and stroke down the edge, giving even attention to each side.

If it's a convex edge, the techniques on the sharpening FAQ referenced above work better.

You did not select an easy candidate to sharpen. Many owners send theirs "out" for attention.

You don't know what your eBay vendor did to the khuk before it went to you.

Good luck.

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE