Sharpening my Kukri troubles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Geoffrey said:
Hi guys, I just got a 12" HI Ang Khola kukri off ebay. I cannot get this thing sharp. I have spent many hours using a file with mousepad and sandpaper attached to it as a strop. I started at 80 and went through to 1000 and cannot get this sharp.

Is there anyone out there that can help me with info on how to get this sharp?

Thanks all.

Geoffrey.

Geoffrey I'm sorry to hear about your troubles sharpening your new HI Khukuri. I am an avid collector of HI khuk's and have had over 30 in my possession at different times. I still have about 20 or so, haven't counted them lately. :wink:

For someone new to the khukuri family they can be very difficult too sharpen. It is not just you.

My advice is too visit the HI Forum on http://www.bladeforums.com
or you can go directly too the HI Forum here...http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=739
You will have to register as I did here to post but there are a lot of guys who can help you out.

Regretfully since you bought your khukuri off of eBay from an individual the khukuri isn't covered by any warranty. Uncle Bill the US Owner/Partner stopped the policy quite some time ago because some people were trashing the knives after buying them from someone else and then returning them for a refund, often more than they paid for them to begin with. :cry:

Some of the felows on this board have given you good and proper advice. You do have to get a burr all along one edge before turning the blade over and getting one on the other side. That is one of the most important steps.
Also the fellow is right when he said that most people don't really get down to the edge itself and so the edge never gets sharp.

The easiest by far method of getting a convex edge on a khukuri is by putting it on a belt sander and letting the belt form the convexed edge. Just keep the blade cool with water and you will be fine.

I have two 12" Ang Kholas myself and both are like razors. They are fine little knifes that are just about ideal for small camp chores.
Personally I favor the larger 16" to 18" khukuris.

I sincerly hope this helps you out. If not come on over to the HI Forum and you will be welcomed and walked through the sharpening process by the great guys over there. :)

Just read the second page of the thread and see that another HI member has registered before me.
Hi TOm. :wave:

Feb 4, 2005
Mid-west U.S.
hello Geoffrey....

I heard of your troubles. Did you, by any chance, contact the distributor of H.I. products, instead of first contacting the person from whom you bought the knife?

That is to say, did you attempt a refund or replacement of the khukuri you bought from the company, AND not talk to the person you bought the knife from on an eBay auction beforehand?

Interesting.

And is it possible that you posted your problems in open forums before you attempted to reconcile them with the person from whom you bought the knife, or, for that matter, before you went to the H.I. forums and asked the people there, who are the user-experts of these tools?

Interesting.

So, if I am to understand this situation correctly, you bought a previously-owned khukuri on a public auction, couldn't sharpen it to the degree you thought it should sharpen, did not contact the person from whom you bought it, DID attempt to get a refund or replacement from the company with which you had NO business dealings, and have complained in public forums about the situation.

Interesting. Very interesting.

Be well and safe,

Kis

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Kismet said:
And is it possible that you posted your problems in open forums before you attempted to reconcile them with the person from whom you bought the knife, or, for that matter, before you went to the H.I. forums and asked the people there, who are the user-experts of these tools?
Geoffrey might not have known the HI forum, and besides that, BCUK has many members and together we're more than 10 encyklopedias. The members on here probably know more than one person (the guy he bought it from).

As I see it Geoffrey has not complained, he has asked for advice on how to deal with this problem, cause he has just got his new kuk and is dying to try it out, so I can understand he asks for advice.

Feb 4, 2005
Mid-west U.S.
TheViking(Andy,15)

I first heard of the trials and tribulations after Geoffrey contacted the H.I. website, which has a conspicuous and direct link to the H.I. forum.

The seller of the khukuri is a regular and respected member of the H.I. forum and has NOT been contacted by Geoffrey.

Not that it matters, but on the H.I. forum there have been 5 or 6 offers to sharpen it for him, 2 offers to buy it from him, one offer from the seller to refund the monies paid AND buy him a scotch whiskey (one presumes AFTER Geoffrey contacts him.)

Interesting.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Kismet said:
Not that it matters, but on the H.I. forum there have been 5 or 6 offers to sharpen it for him, 2 offers to buy it from him, one offer from the seller to refund the monies paid AND buy him a scotch whiskey (one presumes AFTER Geoffrey contacts him,) and, apparently, our good man Geoffrey has had some eBay "issues" in the past.

Interesting.
Sounds like he's well sorted there then! :biggthump

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Kismet said:
TheViking(Andy,15)

I first heard of the trials and tribulations after Geoffrey contacted the H.I. website, which has a conspicuous and direct link to the H.I. forum.

The seller of the khukuri is a regular and respected member of the H.I. forum and has NOT been contacted by Geoffrey.

Not that it matters, but on the H.I. forum there have been 5 or 6 offers to sharpen it for him, 2 offers to buy it from him, one offer from the seller to refund the monies paid AND buy him a scotch whiskey (one presumes AFTER Geoffrey contacts him,) and, apparently, our good man Geoffrey has had some eBay "issues" in the past.

Interesting.
That sums things up then. :biggthump

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Right then, the way I see this is that Geoffery asked here if anyone could help him sharpen his new Khuk’ he got some replies from the members here and he got some advice. Done and dusted, what happens on other forums has nothing to do with here, if you guys have issues with him because of what he’s said on other forums then take them up with him somewhere else because I don’t want to know about it, I’m also not fussed about people joining here just to have a whine on an open forum, seems to me that’s hypocritical considering the content of some posts made in this thread

Interesting

So, join in, have fun and use the PM system provided to sort out your issues, or raise you’re points on a different forum where I don’t have to read, what I class, as issues unrelated to the thread.

Interesting

Have a good one
:biggthump

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
I did not feel that the seller owed me anything. I bought this planning on the high quality of HI. The seller would be out much more money if I returned it to him. HI has a satisfaction gurantee and I was hoping to sort it out with them.

I am unaware of the posts on the bladeforum.

I am sorry for any confussion.

Geoffrey.

PS I have never complained about HI, and I am upset by the post they placed on the bladeforums without my permission.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Geoffrey said:
PS I have never complained about HI....

Geoffrey, you do not have to defend yourself. If you are disatisfied, you are perfectly at liberty to say so - you may be asked to justify it with an explanation so that we can all understand, but simply relating your experiences with a product (negative or positive) is not an offence and not something you will be criticised for (at least not here).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE