Sharpening Curved profiles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Hi there. I'm fairly proficient at sharpening my knives and my axes now; but i've got a spoon knife and just ordered a set of chisels which includes a few gouges and am wondering what the best tool is for sharpening the curve?

Firstly, while the spoon knife has the bevel on the outside of the curve i'm guessing a gouge might have it on the inside?

What would be best to sharpen with?

If the bevel is on the outside of the curve surely i can just use a flat stone and turn the blade in with my hand?

If not, i've seen round india stones (no round waterstones though) which presumably would work. But also...a very smooth stave of wood, carved to fit, with either lapping compound spread onto it, or a piece of wet dry stuck on? Or a round diamond file?

Then for the strop, the same principle with the wood stave? Presumably would need a thin piece of leather to make it fit the curve...

Thanks for any advice you can give!!!

Ed

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
as long as you take care of your tools and sharpen regularly you should only ever need to use a strop and some cutting compound thats all i use. have a look on del stubbs' website he's got some good advice on sharpening

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
failing that, the the easiest thing to use is wet and dry paper wrapped around a bit of wood the shape of the edge you are sharpening. So a dowel for the inside of spoon hooks and a flat board for the outside. etc then strop by reversing the final paper and applying a bit of compound to the paper ;)

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
with regards the spoon knife, mine also has only one bevel i was lead to believe this makes them but better when carving, as a result i use a stone on the outside bevel then fine wet n dry on a wooden spoon handle to remove the burr that forms inside the curve on the non bevel side

if that makes sense lol

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
failing that, the the easiest thing to use is wet and dry paper wrapped around a bit of wood the shape of the edge you are sharpening. So a dowel for the inside of spoon hooks and a flat board for the outside. etc then strop by reversing the final paper and applying a bit of compound to the paper ;)

thats what i'd envisioned, cheers!! :D

with regards the spoon knife, mine also has only one bevel i was lead to believe this makes them but better when carving, as a result i use a stone on the outside bevel then fine wet n dry on a wooden spoon handle to remove the burr that forms inside the curve on the non bevel side

if that makes sense lol

Lol, yeah that makes complete sense! helps me out a lot, cheers :D :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE