Sharp for the hearth

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Since SWMBO banished the sheathless kukri to the garage:(, the only sharp I have by my fireplace at home is a Mora Clipper. I use it for practice at feathersticks, the odd bit of battoning and a hundred other little fireside tasks. While it a good tool it doesn't have the homely rustic feel I would like by the woodburner.

One of my brothers has a little Vaughan hatchet and the end of an oak beam as a chopping block.

My other brother has an old WWI bayonet which is blunt but surprisingly good for battoning.

So I want to know; what do you have by the fire for those living room cutting tasks?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My whole knife collection (almost) is in the living room - Khukri to Mora, Crimean War bayonet to hand forged Wharncliffe, Thai jungle knife to Damascus bushy..... I have quite a choice....

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
When I was a boy we had an open fire and used a small hatchet to split the logs, nothing fancy just a basic squareish headed hand hatchet and a battoning log for the tough bits of wood. I do remember my dad using a hammer and big chisel for a while though..not sure why..

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
Gransfors Axe, Cavalry sword and WW1 Bayonet actually on the hearth, my six best knives on a display stand about six feet away, Kukri and spike bayonet on top of a load of books on another shelf and my everyday knives distributed around the work surfaces in the kitchen..... no, we haven't got kids! Glyn.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Is there one which seems to "belong" to the fireplace? Which one do you find yourself reaching for?

Z

Most get a turn ...but it is mainly my latest home handled knife or the one I am curently testing for the magazines.
The realy heavy work is all done outside in the woodstore:) - using a GFB SFA or the one I am currently testing for the mags.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE