Making things for the canoe out of a log

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
I thought I would post this here too as it involved my nice shiny axe:p

Way back before I had technical difficulties with my leeboard resulting in me having to knock one up in a hurry
rolleyes.gif
, I had acquired some Alder.

They were felled by the council down by the local river, so I thought they would be ideal.
biggrin.gif
Friday seemed a good day to make a start, as it had finally stopped raining. So wanting to turn a log into a nice straight plank, so I thought I would try a new technique (well new for me).

I dig out the electric chainsaw. I manage to cut the log in half (long ways), and find that the blade is well and truly blunt
banghead.gif
. And quick rummage in the draws and I find a round file and set about sharpening, it's been a while and takes a while to get back into the swing of things. Needless to say the first half of the chain was not as sharp as the end
whistle.gif

3 things I notice using the chainsaw. 1. I seemed to get through quite a bit of chain oil, 2. it wasn't very quick, efficient or straight way of cutting.

And lastly it does produce quite a bit of waste. The inside of the workshop and most of the entrance looked more like a hamster cage, with about 2 to 3 inch's of sawdust
biggrin.gif

So after spending an entire afternoon making 2 cuts, producing an awfully large pile of waste and using a 1 litre can of oil I return to the classical way of doing things.

Saturday I grab the second log ( 1 for rudder, second for leeboard) it's a slightly smaller diameter just as it happens small enough to fit in the band saw
biggrin.gif
. So a grab the axe and cut a flat edge down one side ( 10 min job) so the log won't roll all over the place while I'm cutting. Place it on the table, wind up the guard all the way to the top (after making sure it can turn freely) turn it on and begin cutting. To my surprise the saw is actually up to cutting this thing, and seems to cut through with out any problem. Unfortunately having the guard so far up means that you have almost no control on where the blade goes
banghead.gif
. After about 10 inchs it started to break out and wouldn't go back on course. So time for a new plan.

So I grab the froe. I haven't yet been successful in the use of the froe, but always give it a go in the hope that this will be the time, unfortunately this wasn't that time either
rolleyes.gif

Undeterred I grab the axes and wedges, and begin splitting the log into 3 pieces. Strangely I'm always surprised with this method, I'm usually told by people that it won't work as well as sawing and won't be as accurate. Which is funny as this is my preferred method , and it usually ends up better than sawing
whistle.gif

7358462358_db310dd6c8_b.jpg

Here is the finished article, it only needed a little touching up with the axe to make it straight (ish) and best of all the waste is ideal size for kindling for the yukon or just ideal size for the honey stove
Campfire.gif

7173246799_5ae4354e14_b.jpg

Quite straight for a first ever attempt with that axe, had to make a stand to stop the newly made plank falling over. Using an off cut of oak and a bit of string

7173247945_d4a2910682_b.jpg

You can just make out where I started on the bandsaw (the straighter bit) I could have made it straighter but that is good enough, got to let it dry out now and move about a fair bit. Then it's off to woodwork class to use their thicknesser to make it look like a real plank

and finally here is the last shot of the day on the drying rack
whistle.gif

7358474222_d947283322_b.jpg

The 2 small bits on top will be my new rudder stock, they are dry now and need to made to the correct thickness. The top big straighter bit is the axe milled piece and the other wobbly one is done with the chainsaw.

Now to wait while they dry, then I can start making them into things.

Joe

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE