sewing machines- ultimate survival tool

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
:)
Since discovering the sewing machine I have started making all sorts of mods to kit, its fun and a lot cheaper than buying new and getting the same problem.

http://www.joyssewingmachines.co.uk/

These people are having a sale. The machines are used by all of the sweatshops in Asia. Door to door next day delivery. Cannot reccomend their sevice highly enough.

No connection etc, etc.

Sandsnakes:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have several sewing machines ranging from computer controlled fancy job through basic straight stitch electric to hand turned.
I love making stuff!
Costume, leather pouches, normal clothing, mountain clothing, you name it!
For a while I earned a few pennies as an outworker making "fashion" maternity wear!

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I have an old singer, rescued from a skip, it works very well! I would like to have a go with an electric jobbie but I don't think my purse can stretch to one :(

Hey John... with that book of yours you've started a craze!

I bought an old but mint treadle singer machine last year and bought a new belt for it. It's really something else however I wanted the convenience of an electric machine and bought a reconditioned Toyota for £50 from the sewing machine repair shop in Glasgow. It works a treat and I even got an hours free lesson from the lady who was working in the shop that day!
Okay it takes a bit of perseverance to get the hang of it (I'm still practicing!) with needle sizes and stitch tension and all that but once you do, you start to see wee projects materialising everywhere!

I'd love to see what folk are making up....

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I inherited 2 sewing machines from my mum. My sister got the super-duper machine as my mum was heavily into quilting and mys sister decided she was going to finish off all the projects mum hadn't done by the time she became too ill to carry on with it. Result of that decision.... my sister is now a partner in a quilting shop :)

Got to admit I am pleased that my mother and grandmother both taught me the basic skills of sewing when I was young. I wasn't at the time but as they say.... mothers know best :D

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I have an old singer, rescued from a skip, it works very well! I would like to have a go with an electric jobbie but I don't think my purse can stretch to one :(

I had an old singer once, rescued from the church choir, good cook too but I left her when she lost her voice....screamin' at me.
icon9.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE