Serious backpacking and wildcamping - minimum kit??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...If wet get out of your wet clothes and into your bag. Then vice versa in the morning. Do you need anything for when you stop other than your warm layer? If so what? I was thinking a synthetic smock or gilet instead of a fleece as it is also windproof and warmer for the weight. Then when moving it comes off and the waterproof or a 50g windshirt is on over the t-shirt if needed....Is there really any need for anything else?..."

You might want to consider the Buffalo range of outdoor clothing, I walked the West Highland Way in a very wet and windy October wearing their tec-lite shirt and was perfectly warm, you just need something warm for the evening, possibly just your sleeping bag. Putting on damp Buffalo gear in the morning isn't so pleasant but it quickly warms up.

:)

Additionally these articles from Paul Kirtley are worth a read through.

How to Build a Survival Kit on Bushcraft Principles

A Bushcraft Camping Outfit – Equipment for Living in the Woods

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
On a more serious reply...

no cell phone ? (emergency point of view)
fire lighting? (mini bic, 11 gr)
Whistle (11 gr)

Got back into lightweight mode again, will try and post a list (if not all in Dutch) copied from a spreadsheet.... Still have to weigh most of my clothes though

Grtz Johan

For got to add, SatMap and mobile phone, both in pockets rather than pack.

Fire lighting? Well I'm a smoker so always have a clipper or zippo to hand.

Whistle is built into my pack straps :)

Look for ward to seeing your list Grtz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE