Serious backpacking and wildcamping - minimum kit??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Now I know there has been threads about 15 or less and even lower but this is not like that. What I want to seriously know what people think is the minimum kit to go on a multi-day, wildcamping, backpacking HOLIDAY? By holiday I mean something enjoyable so none of this knife, crusader cup and paracord nonsense. Well not nonsense really just I'm kind of thinking more outdoorsy type holiday than bushcrafty if that makes sense.

I was basically thinking the obvious is shelter, sack, sleeping bag (and mat) and a stove (and pots). Then you have clothing which at its simplest is what you wear when out walking say, with waterproofs, trousers, t-shirt and a warm layer. Then do you really need anything at night? If wet get out of your wet clothes and into your bag. Then vice versa in the morning. Do you need anything for when you stop other than your warm layer? If so what? I was thinking a synthetic smock or gilet instead of a fleece as it is also windproof and warmer for the weight. Then when moving it comes off and the waterproof or a 50g windshirt is on over the t-shirt if needed. Water container, small so you're not tempted to carry too much plus a good sterilization method such as steripen or drink-safe (just my opinion the drinksafe inline filter for 71g is my preference). YOur pot is your pot and mug obviously.

If you're cold in the evening get in your sleeping bag.

Is there really any need for anything else? Bear in mind more kit means more weight and that has always been my problem. I am just wondering what I can do without or what I can't and wondered what your views were on this. I could write a kit list down but think I'd bore you with that.

Anyway what's your view on this?

udamiano

On a new journey
MSR 1 zoid man tent
inflatable bed (it can be folded smaller than a roll or a thermorest
3 season synthetic sleeping bad and liner
F1 burner and Ti pot
Insulated Cup
merino base layer
merino mid layer
pro shell or similar and over trousers

Spork
Knife and spark rod
Katadyn water purifier
spare socks
medical kit
spot emergency transmitter
spare lithium batteries
Head torch (led)

mattersons sausage
pepperoni
dried mix veg (in sachets0
small pasta
Tea / coffee whitener /sweeteners

Map/compass /GPS

I did the Pennine way with this last year, supplies were replenished when found towns.

it took 2 weeks to do, and that all we took, all fitted into 70-80 litre rucksack

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Loving the Montane Extreme smock at the mo.... I know its just touching autumn, but it stays on me all day. Even bed time in the bag and when you wake and get out, you still stay just as warm. Winter time I may go down the wicking base layer route but its a great smock so-far.

Bedding, Insulation (seasonal dependent on whats required) shelter/tarp and a source of clean water along with foodstuff's and a brew kit is ample for me. Campfire (add saw and hatchet) or meths stove. One pot, mug and some eating irons. Throw in a headlamp, a SAK or mora and a FAK.

Anything else is a bonus really.

al.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
See my list from the trip at the weekend, the only thing that would change is the amount of food I'd carry.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Shelter: sleeping bag or blanket, a foam pad or reindeer hide, either tarp or hammock

Cooking: a pot for open fire or the Trangia. A spoon. And food, of course.

Clothing: depends on when and where.

Misc: knife, repair kit, cordage. Probably map and compass unless I know the area. Maybe a headlamp and a book, maybe not. An axe will often get carried. First aid kit, naturally. Some way to start a fire. Toothbrush, toothpaste and a piece of soap. bandana for towel.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Every time I pack I think it's simple. I mean all you need is shelter (tarp/bivvy or tent), sleep system (mat and bag), sack, waterproofs, stove kit (pot, stove, fuel, means to light), FAK, knife, insulation layer for stops and evening IF not in bag of course and headtorch. Also water carrier (bladder) and inline eliminator filter from drink safe.

I mean what else do you really need?

However knowing that and doing that somehow is not the same. I have done overnighters with 6.5kg and 12kg. I have done weeks with 20kg plus. What I don't understand if I know what I need why am I still in the 9kg to 15kg for overnighters to a week for the base load (without food and water). I reckon before it gets cold I need to get out with a trial minimum kit. The sooner I get confidence in taking less I reckon it will be better. Think I could get down to about 6kg with current gear. To get lower I need to lose the TAR and piece of CCF in favour of a 3/4 length modified CCF, get a cuben tarp or Trailstar and then get a new sack like the Jam or the murmur or mariposa sack to get to about 750g for the sack. Think that would get down to sub 6kg and cost quite some cash I don't have. thanks to house repairs needed (better to have a house about my head than a fancy, UL tarp IMHO). This is why I'm looking again at the cheapest way to reduce weight, i.e. leave it behind. Just wondering what can be left behind. Could the warm layer be left behind? I mean if you keep moving you don't get cold and when you stop get in your bivvy and sleeping bag for warmth (a technique I already favour as its better to stay warm than get warm).

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I personally would take..
Rucksack
Clothing
Tarp, Sleeping bag, bivvy bag and sleeping mat
Firesteel and tinder kit. Lighter for backup
full tang and folding saw. dc4 if out for a while.
Food and brew kit.
Water bottle and large ti mug with a ti spork. Milbank bag in the cookpot.
First aid kit
Torch

Stove if a fire is not aloud.

Oct 10, 2010
Cornwall. UK
this is my hiking kit

FAK is a must wherever i go

tent
rucksack (mostly lowe alpine outback 65-80)
sleeping bag (comfort 0 degrees)
sleeping mat
survival bag
also a sitmat (multimat compact comfee - in bright yellow so good for signalling if in an emergany)

stove
pot (contains lighter and matches)
crusader bottle and cup
osprey 2l bladder
puritabs
KFS set

either dried meals or boil in a bags, depends how far i'm going
snacks (anything really)
plus i always have atleast 1 extra kendal mintcake in my pack
emergency rations (1 meal, 2 hot chocs, 1 cup a soup, 1 kendal mintcake, 1 boost bar, 1 crunchie)

waterproof jacket and trousers, whatever season it is
clothing apropraite for the season to hike in and extra layer for stops and camp
and full spare change of chlothes (trousers, socks, undies, base layer, mid layer)
about 3 buff type scarfs
2 warm hats that cover your ears
map of area 1:25,000 scale and sivla ranger compass
headtorch (petzl tactikka plus)
small backup LED torch
pocket knife
silva helios lighter (on person)
mobile phone (on person)
and not forgetting

3 packets of tissues (for natures call and runny noses)
^ 2 in pack and 1 in person

a long read but that is my hiking kit list for over nighter or posibly a day hike in the winter

many thanks dan

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd be interested in knowing the total weight of everyone's kit, as well.

This is my list and weight from a recent trip, not particularly light but I'm getting there ...
  • ULA CDT pack - 481g
  • MLD Trailstar tarp shelter - 453g
  • MLD Superlight Bivvy - 207g
  • Polycryo groundsheet - 44g
  • TAR NeoAir short mat - 250g
  • TAR inflatable sit mat - 97g
  • Custom Top quilt - 535g
  • Bushbuddy LT stove - 139g
  • TN Pot & Lid - 100g
  • MDB Mini Atomic 2 meths stove - 20g
  • MBD QMH Cookset - 69g
  • 2oz Fuel Bottle (full) - 64g
  • Ti Lhoon - 18g
  • Rab Generator vest - 290g
  • Montane Featherlite smock - 115g
  • Berghaus Paclite trousers - 185g
  • Adidas Paclite jacket - 290g
  • Drinksafe Supalite filter - 245g
  • Sony DSC-W17 camera - 397g
  • ipod shuffle & headphones - 98g
  • Petzl e+Lite - 28g
  • Adventure Medical 5 FAK - 114g
Total weight = 4.1kg

Add to that enough food for the duration and 1L of water

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
i agree with almost all of the points made above but one of my main items would be a somewhere to sit, a sit mat is very light but would make my trip a lot more comfortable!

Dave

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
This is my list and weight from a recent trip, not particularly light but I'm getting there ...
  • ULA CDT pack - 481g
  • MLD Trailstar tarp shelter - 453g
  • MLD Superlight Bivvy - 207g
  • Polycryo groundsheet - 44g
  • TAR NeoAir short mat - 250g
  • TAR inflatable sit mat - 97g
  • Custom Top quilt - 535g
  • Bushbuddy LT stove - 139g
  • TN Pot & Lid - 100g
  • MDB Mini Atomic 2 meths stove - 20g
  • MBD QMH Cookset - 69g
  • 2oz Fuel Bottle (full) - 64g
  • Ti Lhoon - 18g
  • Rab Generator vest - 290g
  • Montane Featherlite smock - 115g
  • Berghaus Paclite trousers - 185g
  • Adidas Paclite jacket - 290g
  • Drinksafe Supalite filter - 245g
  • Sony DSC-W17 camera - 397g
  • ipod shuffle & headphones - 98g
  • Petzl e+Lite - 28g
  • Adventure Medical 5 FAK - 114g
Total weight = 4.1kg

Add to that enough food for the duration and 1L of water

Myt EDC weighs more than that! I've had to Google most of your list to find out what out what the acronyms mean :)

On a more serious reply...

no cell phone ? (emergency point of view)
fire lighting? (mini bic, 11 gr)
Whistle (11 gr)

Got back into lightweight mode again, will try and post a list (if not all in Dutch) copied from a spreadsheet.... Still have to weigh most of my clothes though

Grtz Johan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE