Selling a Rolex - Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hello all.

There have been a few threads about Rolex watches down through the years so there are probably a few of you who own or have owned such.

I'm thinking about selling my old (26 years) Sea Dweller.

Ebay might be one option, I can see that some are being sold there fairly regularly, but does anyone have any other ideas? There are lots of companies who claim to be keen to buy but I suspect most of them are not all they make themselves out to be. Does anyone have any positive experiences with a particular company? Frankly I detest eBay and would gladly never use them again.

Cheers for any replies.

Thanks.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Have you stumbled upon this lot? http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/

They have been going a while and deal in pre-owned a lot.

The bottom line is that any company willing to buy it will intend to sell it on. You will not get a better price than selling privately via something like ebay because a business will pay you less to get their margin.

Or you could just smash it up and put it on youtube, it's what I'm going to do with my Date Just that keeps worse time than anything I have ever seen.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Have you stumbled upon this lot? http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/

They have been going a while and deal in pre-owned a lot.

The bottom line is that any company willing to buy it will intend to sell it on. You will not get a better price than selling privately via something like ebay because a business will pay you less to get their margin.

Or you could just smash it up and put it on youtube, it's what I'm going to do with my Date Just that keeps worse time than anything I have ever seen.

Ha ha, don't smash it, sell it to me!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I couldn't in good faith sell it to anyone. It really is that bad at telling the time.

Rolex, bless 'em are too far up their own unmentionables to care so onto youtube it goes.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Squidders, I had a Submariner back in the 80's that kept very good time, have you had your Rolex checked? If its loosing time badly then its faulty and this will affect the selling price.

Last edited:

Infrared

Apr 6, 2012
Swansea
+1 for watchfinder, gave me a very good price for a Breitling.
Could be in need of a service as the lubricants thicken over time causing poor time keeping. (or so Im told)
Depending on the movement think its 3 or 5 year service interval.
The Breitling I sold was loosing 15 seconds a day, after service it was spot on.
Hope that helps

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Don't bother with anything like Watchfinder etc. Sell it privately, you'll get far more, especially for an SD as they are sought after. I used to work for Rolex for about 12 years and my speciality was vintage sports watches. Sell it through a local paper or trade magazine.

Do you have a picture? It around that age it stands a chance of being a highly sought after collectible variant. Does it have the plexi or sapphire crystal?

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Squidders, I had a Submariner back in the 80's that kept very good time, have you had your Rolex checked? If its loosing time badly then its faulty and this will affect the selling price.

What will the sale price be after he has video'd himself smashing it up? That is, after all ,what he is going to do with it ;)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thanks all.

I will have a look at watchfinder, however it sounds like JonathanD's advice may be worth taking.

Don't bother with anything like Watchfinder etc. Sell it privately, you'll get far more, especially for an SD as they are sought after. I used to work for Rolex for about 12 years and my speciality was vintage sports watches. Sell it through a local paper or trade magazine.

Do you have a picture? It around that age it stands a chance of being a highly sought after collectible variant. Does it have the plexi or sapphire crystal?

I do not think mine is particularly special (model 16660) however any thoughts you might have would be appreciated. It has a sapphire crystal.

seadwell01.jpg

Sad to see a Roley being sold on, unless it's part exchange for another

True, I have thought about selling it for years and have not done so because of its sentimental value, but I haven't worn a watch day to day for years and I can think of a dozen things I'd rather own than this rather chunky but nice divers watch. :)

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

You sure that's 26 years old? If so, do you still have the chronometer certificate, wallets, boxes, bracelet tool, table, chronometer & Rolex hangtags and extension & screw etc. All those accessories add up, as do additional receipts and service documents. Either way, it is a highly sought after and long discontinued version of the Sea Dweller and would be best sold privately. Dealers will offer only a small fraction of what you could get for that watch. The tritium looks amazingly well preserved for the age of the watch.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Very Nice watch. I have phases where I sell stuff I later wish I had'nt. Unless youre in need of the funds, I'd keep it, and will it to the grandkids.

[I got an Omega Seamaster a few years back, and it's become a keeper.]

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
You sure that's 26 years old? If so, do you still have the chronometer certificate, wallets, boxes, bracelet tool, table, chronometer & Rolex hangtags and extension & screw etc. All those accessories add up, as do additional receipts and service documents. Either way, it is a highly sought after and long discontinued version of the Sea Dweller and would be best sold privately. Dealers will offer only a small fraction of what you could get for that watch. The tritium looks amazingly well preserved for the age of the watch.

Thanks Jonathan, I am now very glad I asked for some advice here. Yes twenty six years old, I have all the paperwork, service history, mini screwdriver odd 'n' ends including an anchor! It was worn daily in my youth, but after its last big service in the late nineties it only comes out now and again, no more frequently than once a week so it is in good nick.

seadwell02.jpg

I will think further but it should find a home with someone who will get more from it I think.

Cromm, I now have no idea more research is needed. :)

"...I'd keep it, and will it to the grandkids..."

There will probably be more than one of those so I'll save them the grief of fighting over it. :)

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
that lot is superb ! it would break my heart to sell it but that kind of dosh is very tempting especially if your not using it, good luck if you do sell and i'd love to know what you get for it.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi sandbender I've a rolex gmt seamaster and a omega gmt seamaster you've kept it for 26 years why not keep it another 26 years you will never get the true value for it,and after selling it you will feel robbed .
as for keeping time if you want a watch to keep time get a battery watch as a rolex is a time piece engineered accordingly only my opinion regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE