Self Inflating Matress help required

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I am looking for a self inflating matress. I do not know where to start really. I have a few requirement which are:

Packable and portable for a single location campsite, it does not have to be small or light or fast to pack. Just somewhere within the sub 1kg area

Warm - to be used with a top bag/quilt so as to make a bed of sorts so down or similar required to make a bed

Broad foot end to make a nice shaped bed

Thick preferably at least 10cm 4 inch

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It looks good but a little thin

I looked at this

http://www.robens.de/en/Products/mats-airbeds/airbeds/prima-core-9,-d-,0-cm

I think actually you are right, it is not a self inflator (I do not know the difference) I also think the r value is rubbish too but I do not know about that either.

For example this self inflater is an r value of 10 which is more than I need and it a bit heave at 2kg down to -50c

http://www.robens.de/en/Products/mats-airbeds/self-inflating-mats/shangrila-10,-d-,0-cm

If I combine a ccf mat and an inflatable what sort of insulation will I get? I was thinking sod all as the mat would act as one? Really its for a winter tent with a down top bag to make a warm comfy bed.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I just bought the Karrimor foam mat in the Blacks sale for £15 delivered, but it's for use on its own on sites that have bramble or thorn. One tiny pinprick on a SE and it's an uncomfortable night ahead. I'd link you, but I'm just in my bed and on my phone. You should find it easy enough.

Perdonally I'd buy one that suits rather than muck about with two. But should you get a puncture you have the advantage of some insulation.

Robens, I'm afraid I don't have any experience with. My Multimat Trekker has lasted years, but has had its share of punctures, and though most come with a repair kit, it's about the last thing you'd be wanting to do in the cold and dark.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
For the very reason of being left deflated is why I have steered the past. Had one, valve was dodgy and I was left lying in the grass mid April, so I've steered clear from then on. I thought maybe if it was a static camp ie without backpacking moving every day it may fair a little better.

A good point about the back up from a foam pad, maybe if coupled with something like this the R value may be increaced a fair bit.

https://www.leisurefayre.com/produc..._quilt_cover/f3ce17e96bba2e34bf173e2ffe57f336

Just for reference. The foam mat I use at the minute is a 2cm foam one weight 600g so as puncture resistant and simple as it is, I can get a bit more comfort for the weight, and a bit more warmth.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I recommend staying away from self inflatings mats, which don't really self inflate l that well, and look at somwthing like the thermarest neoair xtherm. Warm, light, small and comfy. I'm fairly sure you can get it in a rectangular model for extra width too.

I did a lot of research last year, spike with somemmenvers here and tried many models in shops and decided that that was the best option.

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
I have a Alpkit Dirtbag, and i love it. Its been in use for a couple of years now and ive never had a puncture, and ive used it on forest floors, beaches, fields (although usually with a ground sheet) They do a slightly thicker one too if 5cm is too thin. I like to be comfy so i tend to double up with foam rollmat.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It's getting awfully expensive! Adding a down top bag could push 500 dollars, but I suppose that will be well worth it.

The neo air max does look good, nice and wide 6.25 cm thick and a good R value for 750. The dirtbag I cannot find in thick though, but maybe that's ok, couple it with a foam mat and a padded cover.

Strangley exped do not do a down mat that is 2 foot wide, you can only get the synmat in 9cm depth with 2ft width.

How do you find airbeds such as the multimat

http://www.multimat.uk.com/store/products/adventure-air-2014

I know it's narrow, but if I find something a bit wider (18 inches is narrower than my shoulders) but I could take a foam mat and a quilted cover for the same weight as a down mat from exped and not worry about punctures ?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Have a look at the Exped Synmat LW. I have one and can vouch for its comfort. Again, should you get a leak, you'll be on the ground. In the case of a lilo type mat, that's literally on the ground.

Multimat foam is pretty good. I did a 'leaning on one elbow' test on a Multimat and an Alpkit, both mats not inflated. The Multimat was way better and would provide a little insulation. Not to slag off Alpkit because I think they may have changed their foam. But I'm having a cupboard clear out and both have very slight leaks. The Alpkit is being binned, and at some point I'll do the bath test with the Multimat. No need to go to anything like 4" thick in my opinion, my Trekker is perhaps too thin for your needs, but again, should you get a leak, that foam will still give you some warmth and comfort.

To add. I just picked up one of these using the discount code as mentioned above.

http://www.blacks.co.uk/activities/103112-multi-mat-comfort-xl-sleeping-mat-red.html

It's lighter, though far bulkier than my lightest tapered Multi. And always remember, a couple of beers and a slug of whisky make even a nettle clump comfortable. :)

Last edited:

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
I use a foam roll mat under my Dirtbag (it weighs nothing and fits externally to my Vulcan) In the winter i'll wrap a wool blanket around them both, and that's very comfy indeed. I have fairly broad shoulders and the Dirtbag is wide enough for me.

Ive not used a Multimat.... but a mate did last time he came with me, and it failed him, leaked on its first use. He had a miserable night. I think like most things you pay for what you get, and I would rather pay a little more and have a little more peace of mind knowing i'd spent a little more and bought quality kit. I really hope that doesn't come across snobby, I assure you I am nothing of the sort!

I think that must be an older Alpkit Nice65, as my mates Multimat is languishing in my garage and when both mats are deflated the Dirtbag feels thicker.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Oh, and should you go for a SE, take a tip from me. Pack it in the centre of your pack and stuff everything else around. Don't do what I did and strap it to the top of my pack, then crash through woodland.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I can recommend the Exped airmats.. never used the insulated ones.. mines just the bog standard airmat LW 190 x 65 x 7.5 cm size. I use it with either a roll mat and or foil windscreen cover under it for insulation.

You could even wrap a wool or fleece blanket round it.. i've never been cold on mine in low temps of round 5c.. be no good in a cold winter when temps are below freezing.

I don't blow moist air in to it to blow it up.. my homemade diy snozzel bag works a treat 3 fills and it's up.

Bought mine over a year ago new on ebay uk from a seller in Finland. I think they're discontinued now.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Thanks for the help.

I will add that this wasn't a weight issue within reasonable limits, just as long as it could be hocked through an uncomfortable carry to a site.

After the advice of a few I've gone for the multiple mats to give insurance against a deflation. I had looked at camp bed but rememer the hitting of the knee on the pole!

As big g and Julio have suggested, I've gone for the robens 800g( as per my original post) plus a foam mat 200g and a cut down quilt/blanket 800g for comfort and extra warmth. Wery bulky and at 1800g heavy, but if you consider a 1.25kg down sleeping bag and a 600g foammat is already more, for a winter camp I think this is ok.

So should I use the inflatable, then the foam then the quilt topper?

And now to phd for a custom down top!

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
Yeah, foam roll mat, Dirtbag on top, and I tend to wrap a wool blanket around the foam matt and the Dirtbag so they stay on top of each other, and to give a bit more insulation/comfort. I do use a groundsheet too.

I've slept out in -6 like this and been fine :)

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
In the warmer months tent camping i've just been using one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Windscreen-Cover-Anti-Snow-Frost-Ice-Shield-Dust-Protector-Heat-Sun-Shade-/252674372419?hash=item3ad490f343:g:f4AAAOSwJ7RYSilG under my airmat.. it deffo reflects the heat back and boosts it a few degrees.

In colder weather i'd add the foam roll mat on top of the foil windscreen cover.. and maybe rap a blanket around the airmat.

By fortune my mom has one of those windscreen shields!

Thanks for the help people.

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE