Scouts, Cubs and Beavers, what skills can I share?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
My two boys have just come back from their first evening with Beavers. With them came a form which asked what interests, hobbies and pursuits their parents have. Being an outdoor chap when I can what skills of mine might the Beaver group make use of and which ones should I not share (thinking shooting and preparing game for food)?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
List them all, then have a chat with the Leader...but beware the old con of "helping out".

• It starts as 1 hour every month or so,
  • becomes 1 hour every week or so
  • then 2 hours each week!

I'm sure it's in the Leader recruitment policy - at least it's how they got me!

Simon

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
lol simon... What he said.

As regards skills, been younger if they are goind on a woodland walk for instance been their as a helper watching for stragglers etc can be a great help. But things like identifying common trees and plants etc. Helping out identfying wild life and such.
Also if you are good at crafts or such maybe volunteer to go and do a demo for them.

Hope that helps.

Andy

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
List them all, then have a chat with the Leader...but beware the old con of "helping out".

• It starts as 1 hour every month or so,
  • becomes 1 hour every week or so
  • then 2 hours each week!

I'm sure it's in the Leader recruitment policy - at least it's how they got me!

Simon

Thought I was the only one!! They finall got me at an "informal planning meeting" at the pub! :confused:

lol simon... What he said.

As regards skills, been younger if they are goind on a woodland walk for instance been their as a helper watching for stragglers etc can be a great help. But things like identifying common trees and plants etc. Helping out identfying wild life and such.
Also if you are good at crafts or such maybe volunteer to go and do a demo for them.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Also we used to try and make the younger kid understand the importance of the country code...
  • Closing gates
  • Seeing and removal litter
  • Saying hello to people on the route
  • Stopping when people are in need of help
  • etc...

Th

Last edited:
Firstly, well done for not shying away from this, so many parents do!

Don't be afraid of offering your services to the older sections too, after all your boys wont be in Beavers forever!! Cubs do so much more and by the time they are scouts pretty much everything!! :)

Strangely enough, my scouts do seem to enjoy butchering rabbits once they get over the initial thought of it!! Macabre little whatsits!!

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Our cubs love building fires and lighting them with fire steels (we use cotton wool tinder).

And our scouts had a session on hammocking and really enjoyed it - you bring in knot work, shelters, kit planning etc - and hammocks are cheap off eBay so it's something they can easily buy themselves for £20 and try at home.

Route finding's also a good one - starlight navigation etc for older kids.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
cordage. just liberate some leaves from New Zealand flax (grows in every corporate/public flowerbed) one leaf produces enough material for 2 cubs/scouts.

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
What bushcrafty stuff have you shown your own kids that they've enjoyed at that age? Well all the rest will enjoy it too:)

Just make sure you also have something they can do as well as well something to watch.

Go for it, you'll enjoy it and the leaders will love you for it. Most scout leaders don't have an outdoors background these days even though half of what we do is supposed to be outdoor and adventure. So they'll almost certainly welcome you showing and teaching anything.

And of course it's how we get leaders, the 5 assistant leaders in my group all started on the parent rota :rolleyes:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk

clanelliott

Oct 11, 2008
Glasgow
fire lighting & toasting marsh mellows then dipping them in melted chocolate.
my wife is a leader of a cub pack (8-10yo) and there are 30+ boys, only 2 had ever struck a match!
most leaders plan a programme several months ahead so dont be put off if you dont get asked to help for a while.
there are several sections - beavers (6-8yo), cubs (8-10yo), scouts (10-14yo) & explorers (14-18yo), so your skills could be used by all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE