scouting reg.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Oh, and as far as this goes:

BorderReiver said:
True.The leader is however a representative of the Scouting movement,not a private individual and surely can't be allowed to make up her own rules. :confused:

I'm a volunteer so in my mind, if (this is hypothetical) I decided I didn't want knives in my group and HQ said they all could bring them then I would just leave. Simple as that.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The law aside,doesthe structure of Scouts still involve being trained up and badged for activities and equipment use ?

I remember not being allowed to use a knife, axe, saw, tent, stove,canoe, wayfarer etc until shown the rues and right way by a APL, PL or Ldr then I was tested and allowed to use the kit.

Nick

lionheart

Mar 27, 2007
bedfordshire
howdy,

i contacted the sout association and they say..Knives
No form of knife is part of Scout uniform. A properly maintained sheath or clasp knife is appropriate for a variety
of activities for Scouts, Explorer Scouts and Adults. If knives are being used during an activity or camp then, except
when in actual use, the clasp knife should be kept closed and in a pocket. Sheath knives should be securely
sheathed. Section Leaders should ensure that all Scouts and Venture Scouts using or in possession of knives should
be trained in their proper use and care.
Also if we keep a folding knife hidden we generally are allowed it, it was more us rabble asking if we could bring sheath knives, which after sending my leader an email about including this info she has let us do as we are all current holders of the knife, axe and saw certificate.

cheers
Tom

O

Old Timer

It seems to me that all that was good about scouting has been removed.
No wonder they are so short of scout leaders :(

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
It sounds to me like its the leaders that are often the problem.

The Association is obviously clear on its view, and it sounds like a balanced and sensible one.

"A properly maintained sheath or clasp knife is appropriate for a variety
of activities for Scouts, Explorer Scouts and Adults. If knives are being used during an activity or camp then, except when in actual use, the clasp knife should be kept closed and in a pocket. Sheath knives should be securely sheathed. Section Leaders should ensure that all Scouts and Venture Scouts using or in possession of knives should
be trained in their proper use and care. "

JimN said:
Whilst I agree with you, the scout hut will be a private space so the leader can define whatever arbitrary regulations they like.

Surely they can't have a problem with the Wenger Scout Knives :)

it a a lock knife which is good for HSE etc but no good for EDC so more care has to be taken if scouts have then and may go into public domain etc

My dad has stopped all sheath knives as they are used to kill people :rolleyes: and only used SAK or Multi tools

God knows what happens when the scouts come up agains a potato peeler or a Bread knife probably have a hand off but at least teh AXE is still tought as its obviously safer than a Mora

ATB

Duncan

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
FGYT said:
it a a lock knife which is good for HSE etc but no good for EDC so more care has to be taken if scouts have then and may go into public domain etc

My dad has stopped all sheath knives as they are used to kill people :rolleyes: and only used SAK or Multi tools

God knows what happens when the scouts come up agains a potato peeler or a Bread knife probably have a hand off but at least teh AXE is still tought as its obviously safer than a Mora

ATB

Duncan

Oh aye,he doesn't drive his car or use a hammer or a screwdriver either then does he. :confused: :aargh4: :aargh4:

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
FGYT said:
I'd not noticed that. That is really, really annoying :(

Scout

Nomad
Aug 30, 2005
Dumfries & Galloway
since most of the younger ones came to my old troop from cubs we wernt alowed kinfes of anysort and if found with one you had to hand it in till the end of the camp. still i always carried onein my boot

nathan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE