Scottish Meet Up!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Arranging the meet up is not that much hassle. My only concern is that we cannot go on having a major meet up every couple of months. There would be a gradual tailing off of interest. We want to have the meet ups sufficiently far apart that they are still an "event".

Smaller themed meetings could be held more often and still keep up the demand for the big meet ups (archery meeting, canoe meet up, hammock camp out, wild food forage etc)

However, that said if there is the demand I am happy to speak to Stuart and see what sites we can have. The Loch Achray site can be used again but it may be that we want to use another site. There are a few available, the Loch Achray site has the advantage of having the Loch for canoes but the others may have other features that we want to explore.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tree in the Park is at Chatelherault this weekend coming, 1st & 2nd October. I spoke with the Rangers and camping on site is confined to exhibitors/ demonstrators. :confused:
My parachute will be put up in a beautiful glade at the edge of Ash Avenue (near the playground carpark) and six of us will be making hurdles, small charcoal, natural dyes, weavings, natural cordages and basketry bits and pieces. There's plenty of room around us to picnic or come and blether for a while. We're being set up with a sandbox fire and loads of straw bales so ought to be comfortable. :)
It's our last *event* of the year so we're all hoping to be mellow and have fun playing with lots of different ideas. If you're around come and join in. :D
There's masses happening in the park that day, from chainsaw carving, pole lathe turning, crafts galore to a meat smoker in action. There's a new train station directly opposite the park gates and it's about 5 minutes off the motorway to the park so it's easily accessible. Entry is free!

Cheers,
Toddy

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've been to Tree in the Park previous years and it is a good day out. Kids liked it a lot.

I'll probably there on the Saturday - maybe see some of you.

I don't really mind what sort of meet we have next. As the days shorten the nature of a meet will change: colder, longer nights and the possibility of horizontal rain all day.....you know the picture.

I would suggest a spring meet at Achray would be an excellent idea- if we set a date everybody could keep it free.

Between now and then, I would be happy to go to a meet at Paul's woods, or at Achray/other FC place.

I did also wonder about a small group expedition style meet - maybe around Rannoch or Cairngorms area, as both are well served by train and easy to get to. Either simple hammock/basha/tent bivouacs or stay in a bothy to use the long nights for malt whisky and blethering. Fires in the bothy fireplace are usually no problem and I can think of places where outdoor fires might be possible under access rights. Probably looking at say, 10 to 15 miles a day and concentrating more on tracking/wildlife/enjoying outdoor living rather then bagging summits.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Doc said:
- maybe around Rannoch or Cairngorms area, as both are well served by train and easy to get to.

Isnt Rannoch moor the wettest windiest bleakest place on earth ;) It always feels like it when Ive been up there :rolleyes:

How about Knoydart :D

PS. Did anyone else pick up any ticks last w/e? I did :( blasted things! I had gaitors with me as well, dunno why I didnt wear them.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
hi all,
rannoch moor is a good idea for a meet up but it is really exposed and the wind can pick up a bit too much. im in the area all the time in winter as its great for my photography. a better suggestion might me glen etive just along the road on the a82 from the moor. its bit more sheltered as the buachille etive mor stops the northern wind hitting you head on. further down the glen ( infact at hte end of the road) you have loch etive which has plenty of camping places. also, glen etive is packed with deer coming off the hills so it would be good in that respect to watch them and even try a bit of tracking. the scenery in the glen is also magnificent just to look at.

regards
james

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Lots of interest and good ideas.

I don't know Glen Etive but it sounds like a good option.

I have maps of Knoydart and had hoped to make a trip there last summer. I think that more than a weekend would be needed. Now, if anyone fancies a 3-4 day trip there in early summer '06, then that could be a fantastic expedition meet.

If you travel about 5 miles east of Rannoch station there is a trailhead with a path heading north along the western shore of Loch Ericht. It is very remote. After 10 miles or so you come to the (allegedly haunted :eek: ) Ben Alder Bothy (also known as McCook's Cottage). Not too windy and a nice bothy. There are other bothies nearby too. Alternatively there are scattered Scots pine for hammocks and loads of old pine roots for firewood.

I have also spent happy nights at the Ryvoan bothy in the Cairngorms. It is a bit too accessible and can get busy though.

Other possibilities might include the Crianlarich area but it is not as remote.

A lot depends on who wants to come, train times, weather, etc, etc. Not everyone will want to go on a backpacking trip and another static meet could be good in addition. Perhaps an expedition meet in November, a small 'winter skills' static meet for anyone hardy/mad enough in January (brrrrrr!) and a big Achray type meet in spring? Or is that too much?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Doc said:
Perhaps an expedition meet in November, a small 'winter skills' static meet for anyone hardy/mad enough in January (brrrrrr!) and a big Achray type meet in spring? Or is that too much?

Hi Peter, A winter skills meet sounds cool (sorry no pun intended) in fact all three would be great.

For the expedition walk,10 to 15 miles a day would be great giving us a chance to forage as we go,it would also help cut down on the amount of kit we would bring i.e a half hundred weight of tatties :rolleyes: but seriously i know that walking would,nt be everyones cup of tea so that in itself would probably keep the numbers low.

You could count me in for a January event also,again i think that maybe bivi-ing in Jan. would not be to everyones taste, but i could be wrong here. I suspect it would be more for the umm! how do you put it,Hardy/Mad thus again keeping numbers low,as i say i like the idea.

Well the big Achray thing speaks for itself,what better way to greet the new spring than with good company,Sloe gin ,Whiskies of various types and a warm camp fire. Need i say more.

Anyway just my thoughts,what does everyone else think?.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'd be up for it - with two important catches.

I'd need to buy the -10 nanok as well to go over my 0 - anyone fancy giving me some more money :rolleyes: - nah, didn't think so :D

I'd advise keeping it down closer to the 10 mile mark for 2 reasons - firstly, if the weather is nasty, as it can often be in Scotland, then trekking 15 miles in freezing rain and snow it makes for a nasty day. Secondly, this will encourage more people to come who might not think they'd manage a more strenuous walk, and gives us more time if we decide that there's something to see/do that uses up time we'd otherwise need to complete the extra 5 miles of so.

Other than that - count me in!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Troy knows the Cairngorm area pretty well (he lives nearby!) and has some very good possible routes. I used to do winter hillwalking with ice axe and crampons but my wife is not keen on me doing it now, and not everyone will have the skills or equipment.

So, how about:

Two day, one night trip. Start earlyish on a Saturday morning, walk approx 10 miles, bivvy, camp or bothy, walk 10 miles on Sunday.
Lowish level so technical gear not needed.
In Cairngorm/Aviemore area if logistics allow.

I had in mind getting up early on Saturday to drive the 90 minutes fromm Crieff to Aviemore. I could pick up anyone who is enroute. Lots of folk are in the central belt and I don't know if it's possible to get to Aviemore area earlyish on Saturday? Alternatively we/some of us could meet up on Friday night but I don't finish work till 6-7pm, and that might mean making camp in the dark.

If this is too difficult then we could look at a Perthshire or Trossachs option but cairngorm country is wild and special and worth doing if logistically possible.

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
As perhaps a group of mixed ability hikers, I thought cairngorms may be a good area to do a trip, not just because I know the area, but also it is well serviced, has many escape routes and a few bothys along the way (not that these should be reliad upon).

The route I mentioned to Doc is about 30 miles long with an over all height gain of about 800m. It is basically a circular route from glenmore, to loch avon, then onto derry lodge and returning to glenmore via lairig ghru or over ben macdui (depending on how knackered we are).

Ref's accomodation, there is a camp site and youth hostel right at the beginning of the route for those who wish to come up friday night.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It sounds good to me Paul. If the weather is very adverse we could choose a shorter route on the day.

What do others think?

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Apologise, for some reason I thought of three instead of two days walking - it is possible to shorten this route, but only via higher ground.

I have just thought of another route, from glen nevis to loch trieg (creaguaineach lodge) then back to kinlochleven. This would be good with the 'leaving a car' idea, plus if any ones interested we can book to do abit of ice climbing at the ice facter (done indoors in a huge freezer) or just normal climbing. They do great food as well.

Escapes route are abit limited with this one, but their are a few bothys along the way, but it is roughly 20 miles and the height gain is less and it may be a bit nearer to get to for most (only a hour from last scot meet).

ref's more winter stuff in jan - Is there any one whose done it before or would this be more a new venture for most. After doing the odd day in winter over the last 5 years, I can tell you that you'd have tobe mental not just mad, plus much much fitter as compared to summer hiking, but the pluses are great, especially the ridges on a clear day.

If any ones done it before, then a few days at bivvy city above glen brittle (skye) cannot be beat, if your new to the game, then cairngorm/nevis are good areas to go, plenty of poeple about and we could hire equipement and go through some of the ropes (so to speak).

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
That sounds good too.

What does everyone else think? How easy is it for people to get to suitable 'jumping-off places' eg Aviemore, Kinlochleven, Rannoch Station, Crianlarich? Can we set a date?

Maybe we should start a new thread as I realise not everyone will be interested in a walking trip.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
im ok to meet anywhere thats mentioned. ive been to most off them already.
if you want to see what glen etive looks like i have a pic in the members gallery taken in january this year.

regards
james

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'm really tempted to do a winter hike with an overnighter somewhere wild. Having said that, I have to keep reminding myself that although I'm still in my teens in my head, my fifty four year old body might object to strenuous climbing and I wouldn't like to be the old bugger that holds everyone else up.

Mind you, I walk at least eight kilometres every day and more on most days so I suppose I could do it with sheer bloody minded determination even if the old bones started to protest.

I'll have to put myself to the test. I'm on holiday for two weeks after next weekend so I'm going to do a solo four day trip back up around Loch Achray (simply because I bought a new map for the last meet and didn't get to use it). I'll try ten miles the first day, fifteen on the second and third and five to ten on the last day just to wind down. Once I'm back I'll see how I feel and will either commit myself to a hike with you guys or give up disgracefully and drown my sorrows with a bottle of malt and put a deposit on a zimmer frame.

Does anyone know if there's a safe place to leave my van for four days in or around the Loch Achray forest region?

I need to do this anyway, there's a wee skinny youth hiding inside my body urging me to get out and tramp the roads like I did back when passing places were the more common type of road in Scotland and Balachulish still had a proper ferry (can you imagine the traffic problems there'd be if there were no bridge there and the ferry still existed?)

Oops, I'm starting to ramble on a bit.

Eric

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Eric_Methven said:
I'm really tempted to do a winter hike with an overnighter somewhere wild. Having said that, I have to keep reminding myself that although I'm still in my teens in my head, my fifty four year old body might object to strenuous climbing and I wouldn't like to be the old bugger that holds everyone else up.

I know what you mean eric, but I know a few isolated places where I go for overnighters, further north unfortunatly, but totally ioslated and some near waterfalls of some sort. many no more then 10 miles from the road. The last time I went I carried firewood, steak , beers, the works. I was totally knackered but once the sun went down I had a ball under the stars with just the odd herd of haggis on the hills to keep me company.

damn, this line of talk is awakening an old spirit!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE