Scottish Meet Up!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Well guys sonds like I missed a great weekend, unfortunately there was no mad rush to Stirling Royal this weekend and my wife is still hanging on, hopefully there will be some action in the next couple of days - she is really fed up now and just wants to have our baby.
Thanks for asking and I'll let you all know as soon as I can.

Cheers

JFW

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
It was Scotty who done the mushroom hunt Doc, I was terrified of the things at the start of the weekend(and to be honest I still wouldn't trust myself, I'll leave that kind of thing to folk who've been doing it for years). Had fun hunting for them though, found myself constantly scanning the ground while wandering around collecting firewood, etc.

And I enjoyed the bow swapping too, thanks for trusting me with your Bear for a while. The Samick is cheap modern clone, it was nice to have a shot of the real thing. :)
Josh

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Although the trout fisherman and next years ducklings (pike like ducklings) will no doubt be grateful for the pike not being returned, I do feel bad that the attempts to cook it weren't very successful. I'm going to have to buy a copy of 'Delia does Pike'.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
id just like to add what a fantastic weekend i had. everyone i met was fantastic.
what have i learned? a) never trust a scandinavian when it comes to cooking!! ;)
and b) in grahams hands, a volcano kettle can literally become a
volcano with a little help from his little red bottle of
meths :D

also im never going to go to a meet again, after the shopping list of things i want ( water purifier, grahams swaandri jacket and many other things) i'll be bankrupted soon!!
the weekend was excellent and i hope to meet you all again soon.
thanks

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hi all,

Only just got the time to write a proper post about the weekend. I would like to say that having been involved in many events and meets, re-enactment and otherwise, the Scottish BCUK meet will live in my memory as one of the finest.

The Location was wonderful, I got my first chance to watch otters in the wild ( A bitch and a couple of pups hunting / playing while mum does all the work. :D )

I learn't absolutely loads. :)

I got to fall out of a canoe within seconds of getting into it. :eek:

I bought a hammock that is actually comfortable. :)

And I got to meet a great many amazing people. :D ( I'm terrible with names so I won't try to mention individuals because I am bound to miss someone who deserves much better. :eek: )

I got home late and couldn't sleep for ages as ideas were buzzing round my head like mozzies ( Of which there were remarkably few in Scotland at this time of year. )

The biggest question I have in my mind now is when is the next Scottish meet so that I can clear my diary for it. ;)

S

Scotty

Thanks to all for a fascinating meet last weekend.
Had a good chuckle when one of the kids asked me if I was the 'fungi guy'
Glad they loved the inflatable canoes. Everyone should have one!
I still want a tentipi John!
I am away to thatch this weekend on my land. Thanks for hints.
Will be well up for the next meet.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It may not be quite the right thread for this, but I know it will be read by most of the Scottish/northern English bushcrafters.....

I'm going for a days open canoe training on Loch Tay on Tuesday 4th October with Beyond Adventure. It costs £70 for a day of individual tuition or £100 for a day for two people. I am going regardless so am committed to forking out £70 but if any other beginner wants to contribute £30 and come along too they would be most welcome. PM me asap.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
John, going to the canoeing exhibition with an unsheathed credit card is complete madness.

See you there......

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I forget who it was but somebody asked me about the knife I was working on in Norway.

This is the best shot I have of it at the moment, I need to sit down and edit my pictures but my photo workstation monitor is out of action at the moment.

The knife is in the foreground, the blade was made by Stephan Hugal (the same smith who made the blades I had on the weekend) and my job was to make the hilt and scabbard.

The hilt is reindeer antler, carved in the way I demonstrated at the weekend and mounted with silver. The scabbard was embossed and silver mounted too.

Attachments

• borg knife.JPG
    borg knife.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 107

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Graham_S said:
so.........
when's the next meet?

I'll second that...

Seriously though, It's a lot to ask one person to keep organising things like this.

I don't have the contacts up there, but what I can say is that if we have another weekend that I can get to, I don't mind doing a group cook this time ( not just Ging Gang Goo like last time)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE