scavenged axe

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Just come upon a good one this week
While wandering round work ( one of pur contracts) spotted an old axehead not sure what make it is cos it's too rusty bit there has a date stamp 1889 (atleast I think it's a date) either. It's definitely really old and definitely hand forged turns out they use for splitting bits for the boss and regularly use a lump hammer to drive it through..... So I asked around and agreed a swap I now have that axehead and they have a cheap silverline one thing I cannot abide is idiots misusing/abusing tools......however did have the time to give the guy a few tips on safe axe use. If they must beat everything with hammers I'd rather them beat a cheapy to within an inch of its life

Now I need brush the rust and rubbish off tidy up where it's started to mushroom and fit a new stale make a sheath and it will join my kit. Fortunately I stripped the leather off the old sofa so I have plenty of leather

Pics to follow

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Good find. I was at one of my clients houses the other day(I'm a gardener), I'd noticed previously that they used logs, this time I saw the axe, its a blue wetterlings, about 24" long, I suggested they would be better off with a maul, I'll drop mine off next time I'm out there & see if he prefers it, if he does might get a trade.

Rob

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Well that's the thing my form is in Nottingham but we do deep clean contracts I just got lucky on that one but the rest of the time I work as joiner so I come across old tools frequently and I tend to hang around car boots and rag markets found some gems over the years

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE