Scandi Pack Pal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
RB,

I've got 1 of those cookers and can never get it to work properly, whats the best thing you have found to run it on??

Oh and thanks a bunch for making my wait even longer :( :***: :mrgreen:

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
It runs best on fine dry split sticks and shavings but i have brewed up on dry grass and pine cones.
It burns fuel up pretty fast so a brew is fine but forget boiling and simmering for any length of time.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Excellent use of that wooden wedge. I usually give the wedge a light tap, pull the knife out, and then split it the rest of the way. Otherwise if you drive the wedge too far at first, the knife (or small hatchet even) may slip out and fall on your foot. :shock:

I like that little cooker too. Works a treat if you have plenty of small pieces or twigs of dry wood. You definitely have to keep it fed.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Schwert said:
Nice one. I like that firebox. I have not seen that one before, what is it called?

Schwert ,I got mine from Cabela's many years ago but i think they still list them.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Schwert said:
Nice one. I like that firebox. I have not seen that one before, what is it called?
You should be able to get them over there, I think they're made in the US.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
And on the subject of Scandi Pack Pals, Allan emailed me today to inform me that mine is ready to ship. :super: :naughty: :wave: :You_Rock_ :Crazy_071 :Crazy_071 :Crazy_071 :Crazy_071 :Crazy_071

Just paid him this evening.

Looking forward to getting it real soon now.

Best wishes

Bruce

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Schwert said:

Schwert.

If your any good at fabrication I can send you pics and dimentions of the cooker so you can make your own.

I've never had much luck with mine so am designing my own that will cope with damper wood. For this 1, the wood has to be bone dry (not much chance in the wet uk)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
OK let me catch up with this thread....
is this:
pocketstove.jpg

What we are talking about....???
trek direct (great stor) have changed the way of things lately (and i like it) bit i may have gotten confused in the lee of it all...

however if this what was being discussed.. Schwert remember my previous offer!! :wink: :wave:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
brucemacdonald said:
And on the subject of Scandi Pack Pals, Allan emailed me today to inform me that mine is ready to ship. :super: :naughty: :wave: :You_Rock_ :Crazy_071 :Crazy_071 :Crazy_071 :Crazy_071 :Crazy_071

Just paid him this evening.

Looking forward to getting it real soon now.

Best wishes

Bruce

You wont be disappointed Bruce!!

Hopefully I'll soon have a few too - hurry up Allen.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Here's my little Pocket Cooker in action. Schwert I thought you had seen this before but I guess not. A little tea brewing in my mucket.

pocketcooker1c.jpg

I bought mine from Cabelas but I just went over there and could not find it. :?:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Ahhhh, now I remember seeing that pocket stove before, Hoodoo, but for some reason I did not file it away with the other "must have" bits. Now of course, that I have seen it again, and registered seeing it, I want one. I could not find it listed at Trek Direct (as it was listed but not in stock) or at Cabela's or similar places.

No way do I want to try and fabricate one.... :shock: Much too lazy for that.

I am not even sure why I want one....but that is typically "normal" for me. TomTom, I think I will send you a PM.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
My Field Puukko arrived yesterday so i was able to sharpen it last night and take a few pic's today.
415_1548_1.jpg

The fit and finish is superb ,excellent blade grind and the overall design is very pleasing.
I opted not to have the protective finish on the blade and the spine is nice and square and throws sparks very well from a firesteel.
415_1551_1.jpg

The scale material is wood and micarta and the wood is very textured which gives a pleasing grip even when wet.
I asked Allan about the wood and he said it is ," Ipe` Hardwood ,it is Mildew, and rot and insect proof for like 100 yrs when used as outdoor decking so i think it will be fine "
It feels almost synthetic and appears to be extremely durable.

415_1555_1.jpg

The handle is a good shape and the hidden tang made it much more comfortable to hold than the others when taking these shots in the snow.
415_1541_1.jpg

Overall dimensions make for a good user and i like the way the blade grind comes right back to the handle.
415_1544_1.jpg

Allan's work continues to impress me ,personally i still prefer a full tang construction and a thicker blade but as i say that's a personal preference and the knife is a fine tool that should provide years of service.
Sadly those years of service will not be with me as my father has already spotted it and commandeered it as a replacement to his Frost Mora.
I will probably order a replacement along with a few other knives from Allan as i'd like to give his Field Puukko a proper test (and my father won't lend me this one as he hate's to see me "abuse" things) :roll: .

One other thing ,i found the firesteel holder to be a little over sized and the steel was not held in place properly ,Allan told me to heat it with a hair dryer for a few minutes and then give it a pinch.
A couple of minutes later and it was a perfect fit but it occurred to me that you can compensate for your firesteel as it wears ,something you can't do with a leather sheath so another plus point for kydex .

rb

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
That Field Puukko looks just right. I like the edge back to the bolster too, and the micarta/wood combo handle really looks great.

I think electing to not have the coating is a very good idea. I wonder if I need one of these :shock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE