Scammers

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Not heard of this before. Used to get young lads go round the houses selling tee towels on the pretence that they were just out of jail trying to go straight.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Not heard of this before. Used to get young lads go round the houses selling tee towels on the pretence that they were just out of jail trying to go straight.

A new one to me as well mate. I have always said to my missus I would never get caught out but like I said she nearly had me.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
I've taken to being a bit short, near rude with anyone knocking at our door who I don't know. Particularly short when they are wearing a neck lanyard holding a clip board.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aye, me too :sigh: and it feels so wrong, it really does; but they do use our courtesy against us, and they are all too often a persistant pest. At times we get a dozen or so in a week here. We're the first street in the village, and it's a kind of prosperous area, so it's a magnet at times. We're not wealthy, we're just local.
It got so bad that I printed out A5 sheets to hand to them as I closed the door on them.

There's actually a Trading Standards approved one though….
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/no-more-junk#freesign

M

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I now will not buy anything from my doorstep, won't give time to surveyors (had loads of cavity wall types), won't sign up to charitable giving and tell the Jehovahs Witnesses I'm a Catholic.

We have a very effective Neighbourhood Watch in these parts and I tell them that it's our groups policy not to in the hopes of moving them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
Many years ago we/my family had some fairly effective large dogs. The jehovahs etc. used to hit us up regularly. It was quite a nuisance to stop whatever and go see who was down to the gate. It was very rural at that time, which always begged the question of "why out here?".....

Anyway, I was home alone and some of these folks decided to drop in. I hadn't seen them in months, as the last time I'd come to the gate with a wide smile and a 16 gauge dbl barrel shotgun broke open over my forearm.... mid cleaning, if you will. Well, this time they sent the chief convincers; they weren't going to take no for an answer. Little did they know, telling them no was the farthest thing from my mind.

I received them happily, with plenty of handshaking all around. I told them I'd love to have them come in and to let me hold the dogs until they were safely inside. Once they shut the door, I turned the guardians of truth loose.

I entered the house and made them comfortable. I gave them about five minutes to loosen their tongues, then I commenced to speechifying. What ensued was a filibuster the likes of which they'll never see again. I talked about everything, everything but what they were there for. The leader, he goes for the door and my trusty brutes are drooling longingly just outside. An hour rolls by and I figure the entire dose has been administered. I cage the dogs up and this time walk them across the yard to their car. I tell them how much I enjoyed our talk and how I'd love to do it again soon. Only I'd want to tell them something about myself next time. The woman was already in the car and the headman slid the brochure he'd given me (I'd been holding it the whole time and waving it for punctuation) from my hand, got in the car and drove away.

I haven't been bothered in over 20 years.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have not had a problem with door knockers.
Jehovah's Witnesses - I studied with them for a while with them coming to my house once a month. Nice folk, good chat (from everything from comparative religion to photography), not too much pressure. In the end they said that they had been told either to give up on me or get me to a meeting in Kingdom Hall. They gave up on the visits but still gave me their magazines for a while. One of the guys who used to visit ended up leaving their church and becoming a "main stream" citizen without a Church...
Door to door sellers - I bought 2 leather jackets off one knocker, kept one sold the other at a profit (got a receipt too!): I have bought tea towels at a sub Tesco price too :)
Most seem to pass us by though ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE