A deaf dog dilemma......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Where I have recently moved to I am surrounded by large tracts of forest. It beautiful. Walking the dogs has returned to being a relaxing, mind freeing luxury. After finishing work, I changed into my walking trousers and swannie, donned my wellies and took to the forest......

Now I must explain, I have two collies. One young sprightly chap, the other being an old, stiff, deaf girl. Lost nearly all her teeth, but she's still up for a stroll. Neither are ever on a lead, never needed one.

So we are in the forest. Been out for an hour or more before I decide it's time to take a rest. I slumped down against a huge pine and scuffed the ground with my heels. The youngster quickly threw himself down next to me and snuggled in for a cuddle. I stroked his head, breathing in the smells and listening to the wind as the light faded. There are deer and boar everywhere here. It's on the ebb of twilight and the deer were beginning to roar. I had been sat with the boy for ages and decided that it was time to head back before it got full dark. Standing up to brush myself off, I called the old girl to my side. It was them that I realised she was gone. It was just me and the lad.

I whistled and called, but God knows why, she's deaf as a post. I send the lad out on a long arch to pin her but he came back empty handed. Muttering and swearing to myself I began walking in loops to try and find her. For half an hour I walked this way and that but it was a fruitless endeavour. My faithful lass was gone. Deaf and alone, in a darkening unknown forest. I faced a huge dilemma. Cut my losses and head back home, hopefully to find her on the way? Or stick out the night and search for her?

I pulled out my phone. Calling my wife I explained the situation and told her my plan. I would go back to where I was sat. There I would make myself comfortable with the lad and wait it out. There was no way I could leave her out here.

On the way back to my pine tree I collected a mass of birch bark and kindling. The forest is a mixture of pine, beech, birch and oak. By the time I found my spot again my arm was full of good dry pine and birch kindling and my thigh pocket was full of birch bark. The old girl is used to the fire so I thought that lighting one would attract her, while giving me warmth, light and comfort. I scraped up the birch bark and tore the rest into thin strips. Using my ferro rod I got a good fire going in no time. (I always carry this simple means of fire lighting in my pocket when I'm out, along with a cutting tool). A small but bright fire ensued. Me and the lad resumed our spot against the pine. Here we waited until my bum got cold. I needed an insulating layer. Scouting about I found a young pine.

Using my hands and my knife I cut a hug sized amount of boughs and took them back to my fire side spot. It was at that point that I really realised I may well be out here all bloody night so I made a pine bed to lay on. Within a little time I had a bed and a really rough roof over my head.

a5977a0f6ecd5d27001f22f0b93826b8.jpg

To be honest, looking at that picture now, the roof was useless, but it afforded me some feeling of protection from the elements.

I lay down in my rough shelter, cuddling the boy. I must of dozed off. I was jolted awake by my boy barking and whining. Digging in my pocket for my phone I turned on the torch and waved it about. There, in the now complete dark were two glowing eyes. My lad bounded out, returning with my old deaf lady. She looked no worse for wear and was wagging her tail as usual. I gave her ear a gentle scruff and knelt to hug them both.

I called my wife and told her the good news. Putting out the fire, I collapsed my rudimentary shelter. Finding the main track again, we all walked home. Late, chilly, but thank god she came back!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Awwwwwwww, poor little lady. You definitely did the right thing. Any pics of the lovely lass, and the young un. As a collie nut, they are always full of surprises and staying put is always the right way to go as they really do need to be with their pack.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Awwwwwwww, poor little lady. You definitely did the right thing. Any pics of the lovely lass, and the young un. As a collie nut, they are always full of surprises and staying put is always the right way to go as they really do need to be with their pack.
01aa0bd57426ca5af22493a8b050eb84.jpg

Lad at the front, lass at the back.....

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Great that the story had a happy ending. It also shows how having a few well chosen EDC items on your person can come in very handy at times.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes.

But wouldnt she have found you by smell? I assume her nose functions.

Maybe she found a quiet place and had a nap?

Collies are smart; do you think you could teach her to recall on stamping your feet to make a vibration?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Collies are smart; do you think you could teach her to recall on stamping your feet to make a vibration?

I was wondering about a special collar? Perhaps something akin to the shock collars but instead of a shock it might give a vibration. A dog wearing such a collar could be trained that said vibration is a recall command?

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I was wondering about a special collar? Perhaps something akin to the shock collars but instead of a shock it might give a vibration. A dog wearing such a collar could be trained that said vibration is a recall command?
Brilliant idea .

And a beautiful lass she is too .

I can only imagine how you must have felt, and I would have done the same thing... just sit and wait.

Well done for being so loyal to your canine friends ... It's heart warming to hear a story like this.

and well done for taking EDC sharp+light , even just on a dogs walk.

Nice post

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I don't know about a collar but cell-phones are pretty cheap these days and attaching one to Molle vest or simple dog coat would be pretty straightforward. Plus there's several providers of apps intended for tracking the GPS location of kids phones that may be worth a look.

There's also a gadget known as a 'Bone Conduction Speaker' that might work as canine hearing aid..

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Yes.

But wouldnt she have found you by smell? I assume her nose functions.

Maybe she found a quiet place and had a nap?

Collies are smart; do you think you could teach her to recall on stamping your feet to make a vibration?
You are correct in assuming her nose still 'works'. But in assuming you make a sweeping generalisation of the species. Dogs do have a very good sense of smell, but collies as a breed are visually orientated dogs. In use on the farm they have less of a need for their sense of smell, with hearing and eyesight becoming more prevalent. (Watching sheep and hearing the whistle). Collies have been bred that way for centuries. If, however, we concentrate on the situation, my dog is deaf, alone and in an environment which she is unfamiliar with. It's dark. She has wandered some distance. The forest is not flat. It has steep slopes, dense undergrowth, and rivers. If she did try and use her nose to find me, she would in turn be relying on the wind. Two things are important here. Firstly, the wind needs to be in her face with my smell up wind of her. There was very very minimal wind that night. Secondly, with terrain being what it was, it is likely that she was in and out of folds in the ground, most big enough to hide a lorry in. Wind in these places follow the lay of the land not the the prevailing wind direction, ergo, by using her nose, she may well of been more confused, as nature will work against her. Add that to being lost, deaf and confused and it's not so simple is it......

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
What about one of those smaller tracker things for bikes or cars you see advertised on the net + track via your mobile?

When my old girl went deaf (collie about 12yrs old) she could pick up lower frequency whistles, so I used a sports whistle for a couple of years - worked ok. Had used a shepherds whistle up until then. When she went completely deaf (she was about 15 by then) , she was a lot happier (when in unfamiliar places) on an extending lead.

Its a truly awful feeling when they've gone and you can't find them.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What about one of those smaller tracker things for bikes or cars you see advertised on the net + track via your mobile?.....

My first post about collars was about one you could signal to alert the dog. However for a tracking device they've made radio tracking collars for hunting dogs for over a half century. They've been available with GPS tracking for a while now too but the GPS ones ain't cheap.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
My Jack Russell is getting to the deaf stage, bless her, I've never felt the need for a lead in the past, but these day I've realised it's essential, for my peace of mind and her safety. I suggest you are in the same boat.

Dave

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
What a heartwarming story! I was so glad when I read the end, that she returned!
I can imagine how torn up I would have been if it was my old lady.

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
Https://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Rechargeable-Waterproof-Vibration-Backlight/dp/B0135IWSP8
someone makes one with a remote controlled bright light on the collar, but i can't find it at the moment.

I wouldnt be without the electric one for our springer cross collie. If he looses the plot, the sound is almost always enough to snap him out of the behaviour. As we live in the black peak.
As he had a nasty habit of rounding up sheep for us when we got him, it's been a lifesaver for him,as we live in the black peak. And it tells him when i want him back and he's a distance away with poor hearing cos of the wind.
Darren

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE